• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Saw the WW Tern yesterday (along with a probable Little Bittern. See Little Bittern rare birds thread) I hope it sticks around for you guys. V. smart bird.

Here are some typically poor phonescoped pics.

Jason

Attachments

• WWT ok.jpg
    WWT ok.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 117
  • WWTbest.jpg
    WWTbest.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 159
  • WWT+sandwich tern.jpg
    WWT+sandwich tern.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 114
  • WWT ok2.jpg
    WWT ok2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Dipped the Alpine Swift at Hunstanton yesterday morning but did manage a poor record shot of the Pomarine Skua that flew over our heads as we all waited in vain for the swift.
Sue

Attachments

• Pomarine-Skua--(4)-Hunstant.jpg
    Pomarine-Skua--(4)-Hunstant.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 160
Quiet in Narfolk today. Popped to Holme, but not before stopping at the Monty site. No sign, which was unusual. 1 male Marsh Harrier was present.

Then Holme dunes. Again, fairly quiet. Did manage a lifer in the form of a Turtle Dove though. V. lame that it's my landmark 200th bird; especially with Little Bittern and White Winged Tern preceding it! Oh well, what doas it matter. Very handsome bird. Also a couple of Lesser Whitethroats were of note to me.

From here, moved along to Titchwell, where I put in the evening shift for searching for the Little Bittern. No sign in around an hour sadly. Maybe hit the road, with the clear night last night? Who knows! 1 Hobby hawking over the trees at the back, along with the more usual Bearded Tits, warblers etc.

Around 7 now, and onto Choseley. A couple of Corn Bunting singing, along with Yellowhammers, Whitethroats, etc. Also another male marsh, 3 R L Partridges, lost of Stock Doves further down the road and 2 more Turtle Doves (when it rains, it pours!). Barn Owl seen on the drive home.

Jason

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...can anyone tell me where the shelter is in sheringham (reputedly one of the best spots for sea watching in norfolk?), is it anywhere near the gold course or more in the town/sea front.

Has sea watching 'kicked' off yet?

Matt

Matt - the seawatching shelters are just east of the golf course, you need to park by the yacht pond if that means anything to you!

On this map, the place you want is The Esplanade, north of the big roundabout. (Ignore the red circle!). Having parked, walk down the ramp towards the prom, and turn left up some steps (I think!) to get to the shelters.

Matt - the seawatching shelters are just east of the golf course, you need to park by the yacht pond if that means anything to you!

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear..

Might be going tomorrow, if the seawatching is quiet I can swan off over the golf course!!

Matt

Hi all,

Had two Roseate Terns this evening at Cley NWT at about 5:10pm. At least one was still present when I left at around 6:00pm.

Cheers,

Connor

The Roseates (two present all day) are on Arnold's Marsh - on the sand bars to the rear. Best views from the beach - and far fewer people there too.

and thanks to Andrew and Postcard at Cley-Spy for sorting out my old tripod with some new legs...

also of note - good record of a Long-tailed Skua past Winterton a few days ago...

Tim

Last edited:
Not been near a scrape of late but waders are obviously on the move. A family party of Curlew dropped in on the pasture here a couple of days ago and Greenshank and 3 Green Sandpipers flew over the garden today.

This Privet Hawk spent the day on my gatepost too.

James

Attachments

• DSCN1783.JPG
    DSCN1783.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 95
Saturday 30th June

Popped over to Lakenheath to watch golden orioles feeding young!!!

Cuckoo, green woodpecker, common tern, stock dove and heavy rain!

Went onto Weeting to watch two Stone Curlew and a pair of spotted flycatchers feeding young! Greenfinches and goldfinches in carpark.

Saw a yellow hammer and a Little Owl on route to private nature reserve in Norfolk - watched grey wagtails, pied wags and banded demoiselles.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Today went to Cley and saw 3 Roseate Terns on Arnold's Marsh in brilliant sunshine. Little Terns, sandwich and common terns. 2 Ringed plover, avocets etc and 2 gannets going west over sea. Beautiful day.

Also BF tick, met 'Harrassed Dad'. Other BF faces seen today including: Will Bowell. Good old social gathering, also Ray and David Roche!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I'm playing with the idea of possibly popping down to Norfolk for two or three days in about two or three weeks. What are the prospects re such stuff as Lakenheath orioles, etc in late July?

I'll be looking for other stuff such as Cetti's, nightingale and the sort of things I can see abroad but for some strange reason seem reluctant to make that extra hop up the east coast to see me in my home range.

Any advice at all will be welcome.

Not too many birds about at Strumpshaw yesterday. I think the strong wind was keeping most of the smaller birds out of view but the Marsh Harriers were putting on a good display as usual and we had some great views of a Kestrel hovering just in front of us.

There were no end of dragonflies and butterflies about to make up for it, including Small Tortoiseshells, Commas, Peacocks, Red Admirals and the extremely obliging White Admiral, pictured below.

Ron

Attachments

• White Admiral 1 small.jpg
    White Admiral 1 small.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 103
  • White Admiral 2 small.jpg
    White Admiral 2 small.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 109
I forgot to say, these little chaps were strutting about in the woods at Strumpshaw. They didn't seem at all bothered by our presence.

Ron

Attachments

• Peacocks.jpg
    Peacocks.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 117
Had two or three hours sea watch at Walcot early this morning, bit slow but we got..

10 Gannet
35 Common Scoter
1 Guillemot
4 Curlew

Then came inland for the How Hill reserve, the insects were definately the highlight of this reserve where we racked up..

Azure Damselfly
Four Spot Chaser
Red Darter
Norfolk Hawker
Swallowtail Butterfly
Meadow Brown
Ringlet
Large Skimmer
Red Admiral
Green Veined White
Painted Lady
Scorpian Fly
Six Spot Burnet
Whirlygigs
Strangalia Maculata (black and yellow beetle in pic!)

Birds seemed a little thin on the ground at this reserve, Hobby and Marsh Harrier being the best birds of the day here. Shortly before we left a Chinese Water Deer waded across the wader scrape giving a close views (Lapwings weren't too chuffed about that!)

Matt

Attachments

• howhill 012 (Custom).jpg
    howhill 012 (Custom).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 106
  • howhill 019 (Custom).jpg
    howhill 019 (Custom).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 93
  • howhill 021 (Custom).jpg
    howhill 021 (Custom).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 118
  • howhill 026 (Custom).jpg
    howhill 026 (Custom).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I also was at Strumpshaw yesterday. I didn't see much, although I did see a very young fox trotting towards me on Lackford Run. It wasn't much more than 10 metres away from me before it realised its error and scarpered in the opposite direction.

The only other thing of interest was a grey heron trying to kill and eat an adult duck (difficult to tell which species, but probably a Gadwall) by the tower hide. It succeeded in drowning the duck, but predictably was not able to swallow its prey.

Has anyone seen herons doing this before? I know they sometimes take ducklings, but I haven't heard of them going for adults. I guess they learn not to bother after the first futile attempt...

Had two or three hours sea watch at Walcot early this morning, bit slow but we got..

Matt

Good choice of venue Matt, given the recent events in Somerset..... a Black-browed was accepted 2 miles west of here at Mundesley, December 2002 and one is pending (still) from Happisburgh, 1 mile east, November 1986. Neither seen by me sadly... |=(|

James

Last edited:
Terns beginning to appear on the reefs now, Common, Little, Sandwich and the odd gannet and scoter offshore
300+ Swifts moved south to feed over Waxham dunes tonight
Curlews over the house this afternoon

walked up to Happisburgh and back on the beach, Sunday. Couple of pints at the Hill House and 40 Kittiwakes the highlights

oh, and definitely worth a look: Rich Moores, on of Norfolk's finest, shows the kind of fieldcraft only gained after years of hardcore birding... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkoOZ8fYi-g - nice one Rich.

Tim

Last edited:
Terns at Arnolds, Cley

Hi all,

Had nice views of the 3 Roseates Sunday in flight, calling & perched, also present 2-3 ad Arctic Terns,
5+ Spot Shank, 1 Greenshank, 2 Med Gulls (1ad & 1 1st sum).

My main reason for posting is the interest created by 2 or possibly 3 1st summer "sterna" terns - confidently identified by me & a couple of others as Common Terns, blackish bills, white forehead, and a small but obvious carpal patch formed by retained juv marginal feathers - mostly the birds were watched and discussed peched on the mud, and I was fairly confident that the obvious carpal patch put them beyond Arctic. However, 1 observer was adamant that he had a bird with short legs, ( he said "clearly shorter than surrounding ad commons") and that it was an Arctic Tern. I was unconvinced as judging leg length on a tapering piece of marsh at any range is subjective.

I have since noted with interest that RBA pager is regualrly posting 1 or 2 1st summer Arctic terns, it would appear that the safest way to be confident in this id, is to see the birds in flight, as 1st yr Common shows a contrasting primary wedge to the outer primaries on the upperwing, and a darker shadow line to the trailing edge of secondaries. We failed to see them well enough in flight to ascertain these features.

Have you seen these birds? I would be interested in comments from people who have seen these birds in flight and specifically what they have seen and identified them on - mainly as a useful education for future reference.

Regards Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back