• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

As promised yesterday, but a bit late in coming, here are some simple example line graphs from the few hours that the Weather Station was up and working yesterday (I think some of the data will be better presented by bar charts, but I'll have a play with options over the coming weeks; it's all part of the learning curve). The data logger's generating a datum point every hour which I think will best suit our needs. Remember it hasn't had much data to go on yet (and some of the early reading maybe a little spurious as the gubbins was either in the Landie, lying in the grass or in the hide. I'll have to do some work on the axes to make these more legible too and I'll try to set things up so that the datum points fall on the hour and not at 27 minutes past!

Attachments

• humidity.jpg
    humidity.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 75
  • pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 69
  • temp_dew point.jpg
    temp_dew point.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 65
  • wind.jpg
    wind.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 74
  • rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thanks

I think those of us who put in what time we can, as well as those who simply enjoy the results, owe a huge thanks to John and Phil (and Paul on the Moors) who put in more thought and time and effort and knowledge than any of the rest of us to ensure the work parties work and the reserve is quite as brilliant as it is.

B :)

Paul

I think those of us who put in what time we can, as well as those who simply enjoy the results, owe a huge thanks to John and Phil (and Paul on the Moors) who put in more thought and time and effort and knowledge than any of the rest of us to ensure the work parties work and the reserve is quite as brilliant as it is.

B :)

Paul

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. What motivates me, Paul and Phil is people like all of you, that turn up for work parties in all conditions. Foregoing a Sunday or Tuesday lie in, even I found it difficult to get out of bed yesterday. What everybody must realise is that although my mind is pretty active, the body is somewhat lacking these days. Without you lot it just wouldn't happen and long may it continue. See the Tuesday crew tomorrow and hopefully the rest of you on the MAY 'ALL_DAYER' or the next rarity (if not, just birding on the reserve). Roll on the spring:t:
B :)John

Dave

Do you have to analyse your salinity data or are the results instantaneously available?

After that enjoyable but very knackering work party this is the first time I've had to catch up with this thread.

Sy, I have to analyse the data that I generate for the salinity survey. This involves calibrating the electrical conductivity (EC) output via reference standards, validating the method via gravimetric assay. Generating a calibration plot and fitting the data to a polynomial curve so that the EC data can be converted. The salinity data is then plotted against water level, an ordinary least squares (OLS) regression line applied. Microsoft Excel with free statistical add-ins will do all this for you, no problem - and perform a whole host of other stat functions, such as hypothesis testing etc. If you want me to demonstrate this some time let me know. :t:

As promised yesterday, but a bit late in coming, here are some simple example line graphs from the few hours that the Weather Station was up and working yesterday (I think some of the data will be better presented by bar charts, but I'll have a play with options over the coming weeks; it's all part of the learning curve). The data logger's generating a datum point every hour which I think will best suit our needs. Remember it hasn't had much data to go on yet (and some of the early reading maybe a little spurious as the gubbins was either in the Landie, lying in the grass or in the hide. I'll have to do some work on the axes to make these more legible too and I'll try to set things up so that the datum points fall on the hour and not at 27 minutes past!

Sy
e - Rain graph: Maybe me being thick but....
does that mean there was 32mm of rain yesterday.
Does it give wind direction as well. Looks a pretty nifty piece of kit mate :t:

The rain graph is the most poignant IMO, John. What it does show is that we had 11mm of rain in that one hour between 0930 and 1030 (I can vouch for this as most of it's still in my coat). The total (>30mm) is probably wrong due to the plethora variables whilst setting up and the fact that Dave reckons someone urinated in it while it was on the ground, but I think (hope!) he's taking the p155!
There was an awful lot of precipitation before the Station was up and running of course...

Last edited:
Wind direction - I have a text file with that but there are no headings (I'll have to work those out)... Column 11 mate.

Attachments

• EasyWeather120304.txt
    787 bytes · Views: 67
After that enjoyable but very knackering work party this is the first time I've had to catch up with this thread.

... If you want me to demonstrate this some time let me know. :t:

Talking of precipitation... can I take a rain check on that score please, Dave? ;)

Last edited:
It will very be interesting to check the data and weather, during migration times.
:t:John

Yep, I agree, that's where the weather station will show its worth. If we can show a link between the appearance of migrants and certain weather conditions then it will indeed be interesting.

Yep, I agree, that's where the weather station will show its worth. If we can show a link between the appearance of migrants and certain weather conditions then it will indeed be interesting.

This was my major consideration when procuring it and writing the case for its use for the Trust and Natural England. Something tells me that I'm about to become an amateur data analyst!

I have done some digging and here is the text file (again) this time with column headings, and I'll throw in an Excel version too.

Attachments

• EasyWeather120304.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Weather 120304.xls
    30 KB · Views: 67
It was also my first work party and I would like to thank our Dear Leaders, John and Phil, and all the other members for making it such an enjoyable experience. Thanks to the introductions I was able to put names to faces seen previously in the hides and also faces to names seen on here. Everyone was very welcoming. As ever I am in awe of the birding expertise of the grizzled veterans but was impressed by the knowledge shown by the younger members especially on avian ecology.

There were several surprises: John's theory that biscuit selection is an indicator of educational attainment, a German (Daniel) making a joke about the War, and the unique camouflage on Sy's Landrover that is designed to draw attention to itself.

I shall look forward to claiming all the birds that land, and perhaps breed, in front of the hide on my part of the greensward.

Peter

I have done some digging and here is the text file (again) this time with column headings, and I'll throw in an Excel version too.

Sy, the Excel file will make it much easier to analyse than the raw text file. If you collect this data over the next few weeks then it will be possible to generate all sorts of reports, pivot tables and analyses from this, especially if you install the Excel add-ins. I'm looking forward to receiving the monthly (or weekly) summaries over the spring migration period - apart from during the last two weeks of March, when I'll be filling my boots in Israel.

You'd better tell me which add-ins I'll need then Dave.
Is it the Analysis Toolpak and/or the Analysis Toolpak - VBA, per chance?

Last edited:
You'd better tell me which add-ins I'll need then Dave.
Is it the Analysis Toolpak and/or the Analysis Toolpak - VBA, per chance?

Check both of those and you should be set. Have a play with the functions - you'll soon get used to them - they're pretty basic but very useful.

It was also my first work party and I would like to thank our Dear Leaders, John and Phil, and all the other members for making it such an enjoyable experience. Thanks to the introductions I was able to put names to faces seen previously in the hides and also faces to names seen on here. Everyone was very welcoming. As ever I am in awe of the birding expertise of the grizzled veterans but was impressed by the knowledge shown by the younger members especially on avian ecology.

There were several surprises: John's theory that biscuit selection is an indicator of educational attainment, a German (Daniel) making a joke about the War, and the unique camouflage on Sy's Landrover that is designed to draw attention to itself.

I shall look forward to claiming all the birds that land, and perhaps breed, in front of the hide on my part of the greensward.

Peter

Glad you enjoyed it Peter and a pleasure to have your company. Iam sure your endeavours will be rewarded:t:
My theory of relativity:smoke:..refers to the choice between milk or plain chocolate biscuits..those with University educated background, always (well 99% of the time, according to my statistical analysis) go for Plain while the rest go for milk. Unfortunately the 'underclass' for which there is no hope go for hob-nobs, of which I am a proud muncher8-P
n

Glad you enjoyed it Peter and a pleasure to have your company. Iam sure your endeavours will be rewarded:t:
My theory of relativity:smoke:..refers to the choice between milk or plain chocolate biscuits..those with University educated background, always (well 99% of the time, according to my statistical analysis) go for Plain while the rest go for milk. Unfortunately the 'underclass' for which there is no hope go for hob-nobs, of which I am a proud muncher8-P
n

A Ph.D in Psychology awaits you Mr Belsey. 8-P

P.S. Those Hob-Nobs were great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back