• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French birding slang (1 Viewer)

paz

I'm having fun trying to learn some French bird names...

but does anyone know any French birding argot? What's 'twitcher' in French? Dip?
Is there perhaps 'le grippe' as opposed to 'la grippe' which I think is flu?

perhaps there are more such terms in Quebec, US influenced?

I'd be intrigued to know

Cordialement

Paz

My neighbour is a good source of slang terms, but unfortunately he's not a birder. He likes to teach me the "off colour" slang, one of the repeatable ones is "Lapin Chaud" or "hot rabbit" which is used to describe a man who fancies himself as a bit of a stud.
I'll ask him if he knows any bird related slang next time I see him.

I like 'gloops' (sorry don't know the spelling) which refers to a bird being lost in the clouds.

Some easy ones
Gypa - Gypaete Barbu - Lammergeier
Ticho - Tichodrome Echelette - Wallcreeper
Coq - coq de brouillard (again not sure of spelling) - Grand Tetras - Capercaille

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back