• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Strong-billed Woodcreeper? Andes, NW Venezuela. (1 Viewer)

iainp

Another bird on the Pico Humboldt Trail, The Andes, NW Venezuela, April 2010 It's a Woodcreeper of course, and a big one, as I recall.

My guide book says there are 4 possible species of Woodcreeper in this area; Strong-billed, Black-banded, Olive-backed and Montane.

The huge bill fits in with Strong-billed. The black-banded has a straight bill so it's not that one I think. The Olive-backed has a smaller bill, so that's out, and the Montane has streaking on the belly.

So I'm going for Strong-billed Woodcreeper, but it would be nice to have it confirmed before it goes on my Life List :t:

Cheers,

Iain

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 61
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 50
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 44
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 44
Thank you. That gives me confidence to attempt to identify the other 3 species I got on my memory cards :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back