• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

With reference to my Marsh Helleborine post 214 above, our old chum Dorts reckons it’s albiflora not ochroleuca.
Jeff Hodgson

Hi Mike,

It was very strongly scented just like the fragrants with it. Are southern marsh normally strongly scented?

Thanks

Gareth

Looks like a sneaky back-cross to me. That lip is just too Common Spotted shaped to not have some influence but otherwise it's primary Southern Marsh.

Mike

Hi Rich,

Yes very long spurs. My initial impression was southern marsh x fragrant orchid hybrid - long spurs, strongly scented, narrow basal leaf and shape of flower head was more like fragrant orchid.

Thanks

Gareth

No they aren't. Spur looks quite long? And there don't seem to be many bracts for a Dact?

Rich M

Hi Rich,

Yes very long spurs. My initial impression was southern marsh x fragrant orchid hybrid - long spurs, strongly scented, narrow basal leaf and shape of flower head was more like fragrant orchid.

Thanks

Gareth

I agree it looks like a Fragrant hybrid. Not so sure about the other parent, looked at my pics of SMO x MF from Kenfig and the lip on those looks totally different. I wondered about CSO?

Rich

Marford Quarry

Following the discovery of the large colony of E dunensis at Alyn Waters in 2011, odd plants have been found at sites downwind from Alyn Waters, for example by Muba at Delamere. Examples were identified at Marford Quarry a couple of years ago and a colony is now developing there, with plants in the birch woodland and in the open areas. This was photographed 8th July. In response to Muba’s post above referring to this site, I can say categorically that these plants are new to the site, there was previously a small group of plants on the fringe of the woodland but nothing in the open areas or around the defunct pond, where I saw this plant.
Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• DH Marford.jpg
    DH Marford.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DH Marford Floret R.jpg
    DH Marford Floret R.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Following the discovery of the large colony of E dunensis at Alyn Waters in 2011, odd plants have been found at sites downwind from Alyn Waters, for example by Muba at Delamere. Examples were identified at Marford Quarry a couple of years ago and a colony is now developing there, with plants in the birch woodland and in the open areas. This was photographed 8th July. In response to Muba’s post above referring to this site, I can say categorically that these plants are new to the site, there was previously a small group of plants on the fringe of the woodland but nothing in the open areas or around the defunct pond, where I saw this plant.
Jeff Hodgson

Hi Jeff

Congrats - those are dunensis :t:

Mike

As I live relatively nearby in Oxon, I was wondering if someone could PM me directions to the Warwickshire Dune Helleborine site?

TIA

Adam

Jeff Hodgson

These must have been present at Marford for more than a couple of years.
But I saw a lot of young plants coming on there too.

Attachments

• mq2017bdh3.jpg
    mq2017bdh3.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 219
Does anyone know where The Green Flowered Helleborines are at Chafford Gorge, Grays?

Simon,

They may not be there this year. I was over at Grays Quarry, photographing the man orchids at the end of May. I met a local who had seen GFH in the past and we went to look for them in the woods at the bottom of the quarry, to the south west of the lake near the quarry walls. We failed to find any and they should have been visible by then, because my local colony near Sevenoaks was well up. Your mailbox is full, so I couldn't pm you more details.

Dave

I hope to be in the Berks, Bucks and S. Oxon area in two weeks. Can anyone give me some pointers for VH rosea there please. If anybody has some must see info they wish to share that would be mmuch appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Yellow broad leaved helleborine

I found this yellowy broad leaved helleborine in a dark beech woodland among 60 normal green blh's. It was more yellow in the field, the photo doesn't quite bring out the colour. Sadly the flower head just went brown and withered away. Is this just an aberrant example?

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 209
I found this yellowy broad leaved helleborine in a dark beech woodland among 60 normal green blh's. It was more yellow in the field, the photo doesn't quite bring out the colour. Sadly the flower head just went brown and withered away. Is this just an aberrant example?

Probably just suffering from a chlorophyll deficiency, maybe because of stress caused by the dry conditions (hence why the buds withered). Alternative is it has some genetic imbalance, in which case it will be yellowy each year.

Rich

Green-flowerd Helleborine

I have struggled long and hard to get a half-presentable photograph of an individual floret of this plant so off I went this morning with more hope than expectation and in the end I’m reasonably satisfied. I had a bash at more than one plant and didn’t notice till after I got home that the second plant has variegated leaves. Now I have to go and try to find this plant again to take a portrait as opposed to a close-up. (I was so engaged with trying to get a proper photo, in a horizontal position under a hawthorn, that I didn’t notice the variegation at the time)

Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• E phyllanthes Floret 01.jpg
    E phyllanthes Floret 01.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 226
  • E phyllanthes Floret 02.jpg
    E phyllanthes Floret 02.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 202
I have struggled long and hard to get a half-presentable photograph of an individual floret of this plant so off I went this morning with more hope than expectation and in the end I’m reasonably satisfied. I had a bash at more than one plant and didn’t notice till after I got home that the second plant has variegated leaves. Now I have to go and try to find this plant again to take a portrait as opposed to a close-up. (I was so engaged with trying to get a proper photo, in a horizontal position under a hawthorn, that I didn’t notice the variegation at the time)

Jeff Hodgson

You nailed that alright Jeff!

Rich

Thanks Rich, I went back this morning a bit strapped for time. I was convinced I knew which plant had the variegated leaves but I was mistaken and didn't have the time to trawl through all the others. I might just try again, but without much hope of finding it
Jeff

Epipactis x schulzei

Both of these are E. x schulzei, the hybrid between Broad-leaved and Violet helleborines.

The photos were taken between 10th and 20th July and show how the flowers age. The name of the photo shows which plant and the date taken.

Rich M

Attachments

• #1 10072017 016_edited.jpg
    #1 10072017 016_edited.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 193
  • #1 20072017 030_edited.jpg
    #1 20072017 030_edited.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 188
  • #2 10072017 021_edited.jpg
    #2 10072017 021_edited.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 157
  • #2 13072017 045.jpg
    #2 13072017 045.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 199
  • #2 17072017 028_edited.jpg
    #2 17072017 028_edited.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 166
Epipactis x schulzei

This is a third plant, flowering 12 days later than the other two.

Rich M

Attachments

• #3 22072017 058_edited.jpg
    #3 22072017 058_edited.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 178
  • #3 22072017 070_edited.jpg
    #3 22072017 070_edited.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 203
  • #3 24072017 012_edited.jpg
    #3 24072017 012_edited.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 183
  • #3 24072017 099_edited.jpg
    #3 24072017 099_edited.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 176
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back