• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain Hare (1 Viewer)

Swannery Steve

Question...I think I'm right in saying that in Ireland, where the Brown Hare never really became established the Mountain Hare (Irish Hare) has a wide distribution from mountains to sea level. In Britain the latter is restricted to northern uplands. Was this always the case and the introduced Brown Hare filled a vacant niche or did the latter out-compete the indigenous specious at lower levels?

Steve.

A slight tanget but where is the European, Northernmost cut off point for Rabbits, there are no Rabbits in St Petersburg at all but we do have Hares.

A

Too cold in winter?

I can never get used to seeing so much arable and unused, agricultural land here in Russia with zero rabbits.

A
I'd guess yes, though perhaps also flooding issues with spring snowmelt might be a limiting factor stopping them cross the plains of NE Europe - difficult to dig burrows in flat land prone to floods!

I'd guess yes, though perhaps also flooding issues with spring snowmelt might be a limiting factor stopping them cross the plains of NE Europe - difficult to dig burrows in flat land prone to floods!

Hmm,
we do get plenty of snow but rarely, if ever, flood. This is mainly due to the fact that St Petersburg sits atop a huge swamp which just soaks up massive volumes of water. Even in summer, we have regular, monsoon like deluges and never flood.

I suppose that a rabbit may not thrive or even survive under 2m of snow but Hares do?

A

As does Reykjavik

Mark

We have a great amount of arable land around us and not a Rabbit to be seen.

I've never been anywhere, that has such a large amount of unused land, there must be hundreds of thousands of acres of land, probably millions, that is just used to grow grass which is mown and presumably used to feed livestock somewere but no rabbits. The down side to this is that they often mow the grass when ground birds are nesting, it must be carnage. Lapwings, Skylarks, Corncrakes, Ruff, and Short-eared Owls are probably all decimated

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back