• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ground Squirrel - Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
These ground squirrels are scattered throughout the Panjin Wetland Park, Panjin, Liaoning, China. I at first thought these were Daurian Ground Squirrel and it is difficult to find images online but the face seems blunter and broader, the eyes larger and the 'faint white eye ring, extending to the ear' doesn't seem to apply.

Thought maybe somebody here would know.

Attachments

• Ground Squirrel.jpg
    Ground Squirrel.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Ground Squirrel (1).jpg
    Ground Squirrel (1).jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 79
I have no experience with all these Old World species and many times it is difficult to find any good information for what can be found in China. Daurian it is then!

I have no experience with all these Old World species and many times it is difficult to find any good information for what can be found in China. Daurian it is then!

FWIW, I thought the nose was wide too but it's probably dirty, It's not a Pika so choices are two with Alashan being the other?

A tail shot may have been useful.

A

Why are they not Pere David's?

Thanks for the suggestion, rockfowl, but I can definitively eliminate PD. These have a 'chunkier' body with a thick neck and only a stub tail. Also not living in the typical rocky environment. Holes are dug directly into the flat ground seen in pic and have no built up area around the entrances unlike the American Prairie Dogs that they resemble. Panjin area is a very large, deep alluvial plain with few exposed rocks anywhere.

Fair enough Owen. My suggestion was based on the limited angle of the images and it's alertness, ears back etc. There wasn't a lot to go on so the suggestion was made as a just in case. Habitat as you suggest is wrong for PDS.

Hi all,
picked up a very old copy of Tate's Mammals of Eastern Asia just yesterday. Tate gives mention of the Chinese form, C. dauricus mongolicus with a more pallid winter pelt. Also a C.d. ramosus of the province of Kirin is mentioned but without any description.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back