• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (2 Viewers)

Hi all

I was wondering if any of you had any favourite spots for seeing birds in and around Seaton park in Aberdeen.

I have been going down early mornings now for a few weeks, and usually seem to see the same species knocking about, dippers coming to mind. Im really interested in good spots for photography, but if you have any recommended haunts i'd be interested to hear them.

Also if any one has photographs from Seaton park of the local wildlife I'd quite like to see them.

Ryan

Slightly further along the river, the mouth of the Don can be very rewarding. In winter there are often divers and sea ducks just offshore, and teal, goldeneye and goosander on the river, along with gulls and common waders.

In summer there are often good numbers of terns and during passage, well, anything can turn up really!

Please send the record to the North East Scotland Biological Records Centre (NESBReC), www.nesbrec.org.uk

There are proposals (nothing certain yet) for a mammal atlas for the region to be produced in the next few years so they would be especially happy to receive any mammal records.

Hi Nick,

thanks for replying, I've sent the record to NESBREC and looking at their
online map there seems to be past records from the site too.

Had a great start to the new year yesterday - didn't manage to leave the house till past 12 but still saw 71 species before sundown! Including Bean Goose as a lifer :)

Happy New Year everyone

Danny

Happy New Year Everyone,

I am in the process of revamping my study and subsequently clearing out
superfluous stuff. I have Birdwatch Magazine Jan 2005 through to Dec 2009
complete and no longer need. It is free to the first uplifter (sorry can't
deliver). I live in Central Aberdeen. Will hold till Friday, then it's off to
the recycler ! PM me if interested.

Best wishes,

LC

Had a great start to the new year yesterday - didn't manage to leave the house till past 12 but still saw 71 species before sundown! Including Bean Goose as a lifer :)

Happy New Year everyone

Danny

Hi Danny,

Out of interest, and assuming they were in the region, where were/was your Bean(s) yesterday, and how many were there? The numbers seemed to have dropped off dramatically from those before Christmas, suggesting that many may already have moved back across the North Sea.

All the best,
Hugh.

Hi Danny,

Out of interest, and assuming they were in the region, where were/was your Bean(s) yesterday, and how many were there? The numbers seemed to have dropped off dramatically from those before Christmas, suggesting that many may already have moved back across the North Sea.

All the best,
Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

It was a single Bean Goose in a mixed goose flock (Greylag, Pinks, Barnacle and the Bean) of c.2000 individuals just 100-150m from the Rattray Road.

I reckon it was a tundra, not a taiga, bean; but as its my first Bean Goose I could be wrong.

I also had an interesting sighting of a leucistic Pink-foot in a mixed Greylag, Pink-foot flock of c.250 birds near Pennan. There was also a greenland white front in with them. It was a weird thing as it was totally washed out so was completely light brown in colour. I say it was a Pink-foot, it could have even been a Bean Goose as the colours were so weird.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Hugh,

It was a single Bean Goose in a mixed goose flock (Greylag, Pinks, Barnacle and the Bean) of c.2000 individuals just 100-150m from the Rattray Road.

I reckon it was a tundra, not a taiga, bean; but as its my first Bean Goose I could be wrong.

I also had an interesting sighting of a leucistic Pink-foot in a mixed Greylag, Pink-foot flock of c.250 birds near Pennan. There was also a greenland white front in with them. It was a weird thing as it was totally washed out so was completely light brown in colour. I say it was a Pink-foot, it could have even been a Bean Goose as the colours were so weird.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny,

Your Bean Goose was certainly most likely a Tundra, as they appear to have made up the vast majority of the recent influx, although I think Tim Marshall had a Taiga up at Rattray a week or two back. There was a decent flock reported from Portlethen again today, so there do seem to be a fair number about after all, though perhaps not as many as there were.

Leucistic Pink-feet are quite regular (though they do also occur in eg Barnacles). There are normally a few at Loch of Skene and on Deeside each winter, as well as a very striking returning individual with a white belly and white wingtips.

All the best,
Hugh.

On the subject of Bean Geese, it's perhaps worth referencing this useful document which shows the variation within Tundra and Taiga Bean Geese:

http://www.sovon.nl/pdf/heinicke_presentatie_rietgansdeterminatie_sovondag.pdf

Of course, I'm not quite sure how they decided where one type ends and the other begins. While looking at old BBs today, I came across a couple of articles from the '80s where there was much more mention of intergradation than seems to be talked about today...

Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum Mark. It sounds like you're visiting a lot of the best places in the area already, though you might also try Loch of Skene or Meikle Loch for geese. The former is also a good area for Red Kites. Strathbeg have regular 'goose watches' so it might be worth going on one of those. I think the geese tend to come in close to sunset, or a little after, but they can stay out all night in a full moon.

For bird news at Girdle Ness, you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=97045

I ended up driving around Loch of Skene sometime last year but couldn't work out the best place to stop and look. Didn't see any Red Kites. Also went to Meikle Loch at sunset and watched a few hundred geese come in to roost. It wasn't the thousands I was expecting, though... Don't know if I got the time of day or time of year wrong (can't remember exactly when it was now).

I will also keep track of the Girdle Ness thread, cheers (it's very easy for me to take a lunchtime walk there).

Ken Hall, a local birder, died recently, but his wife has kept his website activated. You will find some helpful details athttp://www.thenatureofnortheastscotland.com/section295030_97732.html.
You will find lots of geese between your house and Cove, at fields on both sides of the road. Local water bodies nearby are Rigifa Pool, the puddle in the left hand field on the coast road to Cove from Findon and Loirston Loch on the left side of the dual carriageway into Aberdeen.
Helping you with Raptors is difficult, as even the mention of the subject gets people thinking that you are making up a list of nests to plunder.8-P
Take a walk round Girdleness, you are likely to see weird characters equipped with telescopes, binoculars or large lens cameras, perhaps all 3. It will likely be one or more of the people on these forums. Stop and chat,we'll be happy to talk to you, unless there's a recent page about a rarity, then you'll have to wait.;)

Cheers for the link.

Saw what seemed like a decent number of geese at Rigifa Pool this morning on the way to work. Had a look to see if any of them appeared 'different'. Although I stayed in my car it wasn't long before they flew off (and I failed to work out what they were)...

Was happy to see a Hen Harrier (ringtail) and Merlin before Christmas but will keep my eyes peeled for raptors. More Eagle sightings would be great this year!

Will keep my eyes peeled on Girdle Ness for suitable characters, and I'll hopefully be in a friendly enough mood to say hello ;)

I briefly stopped by Loirston Loch on my way into Aberdeen today and was amazed to see an Otter swimming around in broad daylight at 1pm!
This is only the second time I've bothered to stop and look at Loirston LOch and having got Slavonian Grebe the first time I'll definitly be stopping again!

I briefly popped into Loriston Loch today. Spent a while watching what looked like an Otter swimming around at about 3pm (although I'm not sure how to distinguish Otter from Mink). Couldn't get close enough (or wasn't patient enough) to work out what the ducks were...

Duthie Crow hybrid ?

Hi all, my first posting on Shire, was down Duthie Park at weekend with g-children and this guy was wandering around the grass area in front of the winter gardens, is this a hooded/carrion hybrid of some sort or just a pale crow, or a hooded ? No other crows with him, though some carrion crows down by boating pond, managed a couple of shots before some dogs scared him off, thanks

Jim.

Attachments

• 011em1.jpg
    011em1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 012em1.jpg
    012em1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 013em1.jpg
    013em1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 48
Had a pleasant walk up Clachnaben this morning. On my way back through the forest/wood closest to the car park, falling pine cones alerted me to the presence of Crossbills. I have never seen them before and had a pleasant half hour lying on my back, looking up at the tress and watching them feed. I assume they were Common but wondered if anyone enlighten me on to tell if they were Scottish (if they are likely in this area). Cheers!

White-winged gull paradise today, with a total of at least 9 Iceland Gulls and a third winter Kumlien's seen. 4 Iceland Gulls at Peterhead at least, and 5 Iceland Gulls with a 3rd winter Kumlien's at Fraserburgh. Truly astonishing stuff, and the near perfect weather made it an extremely enjoyable day out.

Image 1: Iceland Gull 2w, Peterhead
Image 2: Iceland Gull 2w, Peterhead (different individual)
Image 3: Iceland Gull 2w, Fraserburgh
Image 4: Kumlien's Gull 3w, Fraserburgh
Image 5: " "

Joseph

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_2692.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2692.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Optimized-IMG_2728.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2728.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Optimized-IMG_2884.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2884.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Optimized-IMG_2848.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2848.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Optimized-IMG_2894.JPG
    Optimized-IMG_2894.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 42
Had a pleasant walk up Clachnaben this morning. On my way back through the forest/wood closest to the car park, falling pine cones alerted me to the presence of Crossbills. I have never seen them before and had a pleasant half hour lying on my back, looking up at the tress and watching them feed. I assume they were Common but wondered if anyone enlighten me on to tell if they were Scottish (if they are likely in this area). Cheers!

Most likely Common Crossbills, but Scottish Crossbills do occur in Glendye and even Parrot Crossbills have been recorded there, apparently. Do you know what sort of trees they were feeding in?

White-winged gull paradise today

Great photos Joseph. I might have to make a trip up there next week. Whereabouts exactly in Peterhead and Fraserburgh did you see the birds - On the few occasions I've visited in the past I've never really known the best places to look, places to park etc. so any advice would be gratefully received.

Most likely Common Crossbills, but Scottish Crossbills do occur in Glendye and even Parrot Crossbills have been recorded there, apparently. Do you know what sort of trees they were feeding in?

Afraid my tree identification skills are more limited than my bird ones... They were on the edge of the wooded area at about NO 642 867 (a pleasant spot). The trees only had branches/ leaves/ cones high up so the birds were quite far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back