• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumblebee I.D. Guide. (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good guide to the bumblebees of the U.K. I have 4 or 5 species that visit my garden, ranging from little gingery lasses to squash ball sized beasties with red tails, I'd like to put a name to them if I could.

James.

Hi James- recommend:

Field Guide to the Bumblebees of GB + Ireland by Mike Edwards/Martin Jenner.

Published by Ocelli

Some bumbles are easy to ID- some very difficult, but fun trying. There are 6 or 7 species which are pretty common in gardens.

There is a Bumblebee app on British Bumblebee's which is very good. There is a basic version with the common species and another which has all of them (I think that this is about £10). The basic, which I have, has illustrations (by Richard Lewington if memory serves) photos, video clips as well as text. I will soon be upgrading to the complete version. Unfortunately if you buy the basic, you still have to buy the full complete version.

The Bumblebee Conservation Trust have an excellent website. Under the Identification heading start with the Common Bumblebees and take it from there.

No real need for a dedicated fieldguide IMO for those with just a casual interest, given the number of species. HTH

Thanks Jumbo, I've already bought the guide that aeshna 5 suggested, it should arrive tomorrow. I own several guides to butterflies and dragonflies and the bee guide will join them on the shelf. The website sounds interesting so I will have a peek when I've finished on here.

James.

I,m For Ever Putting Bumblebees Outdoors This Spring has they come into my conservatory and can,t get out even
Thou the doors always open Yes As many as 5 species Involved one of the newer bumblebee Arrivals into this
country which has a white tail and a brownish back set up a nest last year in a composter bin I was doing some
Gardening This friday and I think Its The first I have seen them this year As other wise I would not of put some
Garden waste Into The Bin And they Soon come out to see what was happening took me by Surprise I paniced
A little All I wanted to do was take out the garden waste I had put in which I did but In hanging around to long
And strikeing out where normally I would of been more aware not to one of the little blighters came after me up
The path and Luckily For Me was not A full sting but made some form of contact on the bridge of my nose as I did feel some pain there like a stabbing pain but quickly went so I can,t believe it was a full sting and there was
No swelling after but was the first time for me of any bee sting it was only in may I saw my first hornet in the
Conservatory altogether different from what I thought they looked like I videoed it in a glass jar before
Releaseing it out doors the video is on bird forum,s tv videos for bees wasps etc.

I had a similar experience several years ago when bumbles nested in my compost bin, luckily I'd seen a few going in and out and didn't disturb them. It was probably just as well as I don't believe that I could have outrun them, too many cigarettes!

James.

Hi string boozel yes they were buzzing around the composter again today along with me letting bumblebees out
Of the conservatory seems a daily task now with the bees some have been nearly the size of my thumb, the ones
Useing my composter like the nectar from the flowers on some thyme I have.

Hi Coal Tit, I think that my bees disappeared at the end of June so hopefully your conservatory will be free of the little blighters soon.

My bee book arrived today and I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my request. I've already learnt that nearly every bee seems to have yellow stripes and a white tail so I can see a lot of bee related stringing on the cards! Ah well it will make a change from stringing birds.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back