• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kato Gouves, Crete 22-29 October 2013 (1 Viewer)

shymollymawk

This was a very late autumn holiday to Kato Gouves in Crete for a sunshine break. Kato Gouves is a few miles to the east of the capital, Iraklio (Heraklion). We stayed in the all-inclusive family-run Kalia Beach hotel (very good) by the seaside, during the last week it was open. Bird-wise it was rather quiet, Eleanora’s Falcon being the best bird locally (200 pairs nest on the nearby island of Nissos Dia a few miles offshore). Sardinian Warbler was ubiquitous, found in any scrubby area or patch of vegetation, no matter how small. Black Redstart and Stonechat were the other common urban birds, along with Buzzard.

The nearest birding hotspot was the Aposelemis River, about a mile east of where we stayed. I couldn’t find the Gouves lagoon, nor the Creta Sun Hotel it is located near. I walked to the river several times. Crested Lark was common on the saltpans. The best bird was a very late Black-eared Wheatear; a Little Crake I found predated not really counting. Kingfisher was seen every time, and were also often along the seashore. A Grey Heron took a Balkan Whip Snake on one visit. Striped-necked Terrapin were in the river and pools. Dragonflies such as Broad Scarlet, Violet Dropwing and Lesser Emperor were present, and a few butterflies (Swallowtail, Plain Tiger, Mallow Skipper, Eastern Bath White) feeding on a common late-flowering shrubby yellow daisy (Stinking Inula).

We also did a couple of bus tours in the local area. Visiting a pottery up in the hills at Anopolis I saw four Booted Eagles soaring above a ridge. Two Woodlark were also found here. East of Malia, we went past the monastery of St George Selanaris, in a deep gorge. Griffon Vultures were easily seen here soaring above the cliffs. On Spinalonga, an island off Elounda, a Blue Rock Thrush perched on a boulder while we had our guided walk around this former leper island. This tour was very good, with a swim in the sea off Kolkitha and a bar-b-q also included. An Audouin’s Gull visited the boat, along with numerous fish, to feed on scraps. So 42 species in a week, a relaxing holiday in the sunshine, and still warm enough to go swimming in the sea!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back