• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

the birds do it for that one, Tim.
Nice sketches and love the little 'un's work too. We usually have dragons and sharks wandering around this area.

Well done with Masterminded! - Could've gone round again.

And, because it's the final day of the Festival and I shan't mantion horseracing for another year, I'm making 8 out of 9 selections. I fully expect to win at least 3 races and be placed in at least 3 more ( ;) )

so - 12.30 - Chomba Womba
1.05 - Trafford Lad (for Alan)
1.40 - Naiad Du Missalot (very tricky contest)
2.15 - (The Triumph Hurdle) - will be won in a hack canter by Franchoek
2.50 - totally impossible (that's not a selection, it's a fact, could be won by something at 40-1)
3.30 - The Gold Cup
Never, since Mill House and Arkle has there been as much conjecture about 2 horses in the same race. I simply do not understand it, however. Denman is a fabulous animal who doesn't know the meaning of defeat. Kauto Star, on the otherhand - does. And he'll not be doing that again. Ruby Walsh says he (Kauto) is the best horse he's EVER seen. 'Nuff said. Kauto Star (sorry Barrie) is my mortgage bet. Simply got too much ammonition and I suspect Exotic Dancer may even sneak 2nd.
4.05 - (Foxhunters) - Drombeag
4.40 - Enlightenment (very difficult race to judge)
5.20 - Wingman for the 'get out stakes' and I may need it, after today.

Back to birds tomorrow

Kauto Star (sorry Barrie) is my mortgage bet.

Er - anybody got a house to rent? :smoke:

Brilliant selection Barrie - I just hope you had a lorry parked on it!

For my own selections - well I had 1 winner, 2 seconds and 2 thirds, so probably not bad for a hellishly difficult day.
Drawings to follow - roll on the 'National!!!

Neil had Kauto Star and STILL owes me a quid!!! I'm going on strike until he pays up! :-O

I backed Denman and was thrilled to bits to see my boy running a fantastic race :t: I first saw him run, and win, last year and he caught my eye then - big tough looking horse that looks like he'd go on forever :t: But at 17.2hh I'd need oxygen to ride him :-O Biggest I've ever done is 16.2hh and believe you me those four extra inches are the difference between Helvellyn and Everest!!! :eek!::-O
Just wish I'd used my noggin and got a price for him in the Gold Cup when I first saw him win! I didn't bother putting any of my hard-earned pennies on him today.

Any tips for the National yet Tim? ;)

Fabulous sketches *as usual* and I absolutely LOVE that cliff scene - you can almost SEE the water swirling around at it's base! :t:
As to the kiddie's sketches - you obviously missed the passing giraffes whilst you were getting her a drink in the kitchen ;)

. . .

Well done Gill - hope your bet was a tad larger than Neil's. Modesty made me omit that my winner of the day was at 10-1, but there ya go ;)
No doubt that Denman did the bizz, but there is also no doubt that Kauto DIDN'T - and we all look forward with relish to next year's renewal.
Drawings from the 'servatory whilst enjoying the coverage.

Attachments

• skt1.jpg
    skt1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 91
  • skt2.jpg
    skt2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 88
No, we just had a £1 bet between us as he fancied Kauto Star and I was adamant that Denman would do it.
Kauto definitely didn't seem himself though.....look forward to seeing their next meeting on the racetrack :t: *still fancy sticking with my Denman tho* ;)

In Prep

I have another fairly intense illustration job on the board for next week, so am getting as much drawing done in my leu time. Took kids to beach as it was glorious!!!! and made a few drawings on our return.

Attachments

• BH.jpg
    BH.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,486
  • oik.jpg
    oik.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 93
  • juvGB.jpg
    juvGB.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,806
I can't believe how much truly masterful stuff has been posted here in the few days I've been away - I can't possibly comment on everything, so th ethings that stand out are your shelducks wriggling on the water - that one appeals to me intensely and I can already picture tearing up paper to make a picture from it - shame it's not in my sketchbook. The cliff scene - phenomenal space. Your loafing black headed gulls - WOW - all of it WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! (please copy and paste these extra wows in case I can't keep up!)

I've a good excuse - honestly, we finally managed to have the funeral yesterday, so it was back to the UK again - takes ages it seems to get all the crap sorted and arrange a church etc. Turned out to be a much nicer day than expected with all the family, the sort of funeral he'd have enjoyed, and the weather was good too. Also this morning coming back up to the airport managed to see the first oystercatcher I'd seen in ages! Other highlights of a week without binoculars - skylarks have reappeared over my parents' street, and song thrushes have started to sing there (don't think there were any when I grew up there), a barn owl performed again at 1am coming back from the airport and I realised how much I missed lapwings - good to see them diving over English fields.

Gonna Miss This Place . . .

Sorry - also forgot to mention that another (and main) reason for working from the conservatory such a lot recently is the fact that pretty soon I shall be without both it, and the very special view we have from it. The house sold a couple of weeks ago and I suppose we are now technically homeless, having nowhere (yet) to go to!!!! - Greeeeaaat!!!
So, for the last few weeks of normality, I hope to use it to its best advantage.
A few more A3 sheets of the sketchbook today - all from very compliant individuals.

Attachments

• BH.jpg
    BH.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,749
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 84
  • GB.jpg
    GB.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 89
  • col.jpg
    col.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 109
You are always welcome to come stay with us, Tim, although it might make it difficult to find a place. I think we should each house Tim and family for a week.

hope you get a roof sorted soon, somewhere with such compliant subjects as this little lot of sketches - fantastic!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back