• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdlist Spreadsheet? (1 Viewer)

Lewis 1980

Hey all,

thanks for clarifying the "who defined the british list" :t:

I would like to keep track of my Life List (my only list) on my PC and will set up a spreadsheet to do so (I can also manage my wifes list in this way). Does anyone know of a downloadable list or should I just drag one in from BOU?

TY

P.S.
Do life/year lists etc... need to be verifyable to be credible? I mean anyone can say they have scoped an American Robin (not that I'm untrusting). Should I keep site/date details on my list for comparison with RBA and Birdtrack?

For your own purposes do what you want.
But if you feel the need to compare your list with others' then it has to follow some sort of authority - and you have to honestly stick to it. Beyond that how can anything be verified?

Steve

Thanks for putting me on to this list as it gives me a nice framework for recording my lifetime list.

I now know I have a depressingly small list of 85 species.

I can't see how it can possibly be verified other than by taking my word for it; but isn't that the same for everyone?

Last edited:
I can't see how it can possibly be verified other than by taking my word for it; but isn't that the same for everyone?
Absolutely! And different people have different rules for listing, which is fine. Some people insist on having identified the bird themselves, others are happy to tick a dot on the horizon that somebody else tells them is a particular species. Personally I like to have seen some identifying features before ticking.

Then there's the thorny question of what to do with 'heard only' birds. I have the rule that I have to see them before I can put them on my life list. But hearing a bird counts for year lists etc.

I tend to be a bit more strict on myself, as I always "want" a picture taken by me which can be identified by someone else.
This will probably change as I move onto "more difficult birds" or fleeting glimpses.
But for now my list only contains birds I have snapped and identified therefore my list is quite small, which is understandable as I have only "birded" in the garden and at work, (42 birds) which I was quite pleased with as I only started in July.
I have sighted quite a few more such as gulls, kestrels, sparrowhawks, among others, but have not included on my list as I have no pics as yet.
I find myself getting a glimpse of a bird and it becomes my target bird, where I set out to get a decent pic of that particular bird for my list, and while in pursuit I snap everything else I come across.
One example is the other day when I set out to get a Goldfinch pic and ended up with a pic of a female Stonechat which was a first for me.
Probably not the best approach to birding but it suits my lifestyle and I can fit some watching in, around any spare time, which is never usually any more than an hour or so at a time.

Best hobby ever though...:t::-O
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back