• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Very nice work Colleen. Sometimes it's refreshing to work in a style that can't be corrected. I think it forces you to get right to the point and that directness can enliven the work. These have a real sense of life!

Thanks for the kind comments all.

I thought you might like to see what feeding time is like. You can see the kids are now about the same size as the poor parent. I wonder how many moms and dads would be willing to face this at every meal:

You come in the door, the kids who are just about your size, scream at you, leap at your neck, grab your head and pull you to the floor and bury you, stabbing and punching to get more food....then you crawl out from under the brood, rest a min and go out to get the next meal. After you leave the kids attack each other fighting for who gets the best spot on the branch....Sound like fun? :eek:

It sure creates beautiful forms visually Someday maybe I'll try to paint it somehow...very abstract but recognizable to a birder

Attachments

• great egret feeding frenzy b sm.jpg
    great egret feeding frenzy b sm.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 87
  • great egret feeding frenzy sm.jpg
    great egret feeding frenzy sm.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 83
No they are not mine just had to put these up , I got a book from 3000 miles away from the intra library loan system here. The book is On by of course the great LJ...it's all in Swedish, but who cares I can still see the pics, I believe it's a few months at the island he has his home on, each page has a date in June July or Aug.

..but I thought it was great it's right in line with what I'm attempting. Notice he drew a few lines, I will too when I try some flight sketches...something to aim for!

Attachments

• lars jonsson egrets sm.jpg
    lars jonsson egrets sm.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for flagging up the Jonsson drawings Colleen - we (and probably you) will know it better as 'Bird Island' (I put it on a reading list for you, on another thread, on another forum;) ) and is a seminal work by the great man.
Anyone who hasn't seen a copy - do yerselves a favour.

Nice idea Colleen, the direct drawing of shapes with the watercolour takes away the temptation to add the details, stripping the process down to the basics and strengthening the foundations for fieldwork.

Mike

trying to get some practice with the flight forms before I try a direct method...the wings are so big an they can be in so many different configurations and positions....these are a bit stiff, but I'm just starting

Attachments

• egret flight sketches.jpg
    egret flight sketches.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 99
you've been very busy and this has reaped huge rewards - the experimentation in using just the brush has created some beautifully flowing poetic shapes. Feeding time looks like a big pillow fight! What an exciting place!

thanks Deborah perserverance can do a lot to make up for natural talent I find. ;)

great analogy Nick it does look like that!

Taking a short break from the egrets, I went to see the new chicks at Bodega Head, the pair has finally succeeded on the third try

This still has some tweaks with glazes to go, which will blend in the chicks a bit more. and a few details on the adult. I know they are called black but in full sun the body is def brown an the head is black... I' really like these birds, they are amazing flyers, and the call is unmistakable and really loud..

Here the chicks are about a week or so old, and a tiny bit of mussel has been offered.... the point of the bill is aimed right at the chicks in case you are having a time finding them, I'll blend them in a bit more as they really don't show up at all unless they move....perfectly adapted to the surroundings.

Attachments

• oystercatcher and chick oil 8x10sm .jpg
    oystercatcher and chick oil 8x10sm .jpg
    255 KB · Views: 84
Here is the final version.....this may be one of those "you had to be there" paintings. Pretty sure the chicks are going to be over looked in spite of all my little painting hints of warm tones and edges, but it is just how they looked almost invisible unless they moved and you knew just where to look.

Put on the final glazes. Still wondering how I'm going to find a way into my own voice with birds....this like the others is a fine record and correctly painted, but not yet quite into a more poetic space of art I hope to get to.

the photos are a bit on the blue side even with PS correction.

Attachments

• oystercatcher with chicks final oil sm.jpg
    oystercatcher with chicks final oil sm.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 80
  • chicks final oil.jpg
    chicks final oil.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 92
This little stilt was the first one I ever saw, it walked along with me for nearly 100 yards, at Shollengberger Park. I'm entranced with these birds they are to me sort of zen japanese designs.

I loved the water it walked in reflecting all the things on the bank, like beautiful multi streaked silk...

oil on panel 8x10"

Attachments

• stilt in golden water oil sm.jpg
    stilt in golden water oil sm.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 92
you'll have to excuse me if I looked at these and just admired them, I had a comment going around in my head, but never wrote it down - I hadn't noticed the chicks at first - what a superb piece, the close up is a work of art in its own right too.

Have to admit to the same mistake as Nick. I'm getting more guilty of just taking good long looks at the work and forgetting to express my admration - sorry. I like how you've interpreted the ref for the oystercatcher pic and the camouflage has worked very well indeed. Lovely technique, by the way.
The stilt is a proper piece.

thanks Tim and Nick

Tim not sure what you mean "interpreted the ref" both of the posted pieces are oil paintings...the ref is not posted, it's combined from shots I did on site and my field sketches...
or maybe I just read it wrong.....:)

Last edited:
thanks Tim and Nick

Tim not sure what you mean "interpreted the ref" both of the posted pieces are oil paintings...the ref is not posted, it's combined from shots I did on site and my field sketches...
or maybe I just read it wrong.....:)
Hi Colleen - sorry, just me being a bit 'multi-platform'. I saw the pics of the black oystercatcher you posted on WC and assumed you were working from them.
Apologies.

Oh right I forgot I did that over there.....I watched for 20 min or so while they brought the chicks food and stood over them...then the parents flew off for quite some time...with all the gulls around I was concerned, but I think the chicks have an overhang they hide in...and probably the parents were close by as the rocks are coated with mussels so food is plentiful. Soon I hope to have a scope so I can do more drawing, on this one I pretty much used a photo and one sketch I did, since once I found them with the bins, I could see them with my eyes.

Here is the final version.....this may be one of those "you had to be there" paintings. Pretty sure the chicks are going to be over looked in spite of all my little painting hints of warm tones and edges, but it is just how they looked almost invisible unless they moved and you knew just where to look.

Put on the final glazes. Still wondering how I'm going to find a way into my own voice with birds....this like the others is a fine record and correctly painted, but not yet quite into a more poetic space of art I hope to get to.

the photos are a bit on the blue side even with PS correction.

They may be overlooked at first but then they're all that much more of a pleasant surprise when you do notice them!

Ken I'll have to keep the "and chicks" in the title then people may actually find them

yellowleg sketches from 4 days ago, the only bird besides a kildeer I saw at Shollenberger.

5x7 oil of mallards at Howath Park, I just finished reading "The Peerless Eye" on the life and work of Liljefors, best book I've read on him, and has a fold out page with his "Eiders in Flight" the 16 foot painting lifesize of these ducks. Also in it was an evening scene on a pond. Since I have a nice lake nearby where I can see this effect I decided to go see, and yep it looks just like his painting, so I decided to try my own...this is in oil, but think I'll try it in watercolor too. There are 2 ducks the one you see in the bright area and one that is in shadow.... so dark against light and pale dark against dark is how it works out...I think I'd like to explore this more.

Went out to Bodega Head to see how the chicks are doing, and it was gale winds and friggen cold, had to lay down to see it was blowing so hard, and could only stand the full wind for a few min even with 2 coats on. ( nice California July summer weather:-O ) I didn't see the chicks only one adult for a short time, hope they are OK:-C I did get to see the gulls fly in that strong wind, easier to draw they never had to flap, just launched themselves into the wind and held steady. Will post the flight sketches later.

Before I got to the Headlands, I stopped at the bay and the bay oc were nicely lined up on the rocks, and stayed there while I drew, and I was only about 20 feet away so I could do it without aids. I plan to try and add a bit of watercolor to this.

Attachments

• yellow leg sketchbook 9593.jpg
    yellow leg sketchbook 9593.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 90
  • sunset shadows oil 5x7.jpg
    sunset shadows oil 5x7.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 87
  • oc in the bay sketchbook 9592.jpg
    oc in the bay sketchbook 9592.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 91
The oyster catchers are a lovely piece of work, those chicks look like they're made from the stuff of the rock, excellent camouflage and just as they should be.
Sketches are great too, it's getting easier isn't it!

I have to say that I quite like being out in 'adverse' conditions, it keeps other people (including dog walkers and kids) indoors and allows me to observe different aspects of the birds lives and, sometimes, results in unusual paintings.

Mike

Fabulous oil, Colleen - really capturing the essense of the moment. These sketches are absolutely stunning, too (and beautifully designed pages).
Funny you should metion Peerless Eye - I've JUST (yesterday) taken delivery of my own copy. There are some achingly beautiful images in there (and a rather curous one of a duck on a line, being held in position for a photo to be taken).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back