• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (1 Viewer)

Those are impressive, scodgerott; see what you mean about the 'normal process'.

I must have a go myself, asap.

(By the way, I always thought Robins were supposed to have red breasts and hop about amidst the snow.) |:D|

Was the extracted EXIF data useful, stuarta21, or would you like to me to amplify ? My photography has been limited, of late, with little to snap.

However, there were the attached, taken locally and almost resulting in frostbite in my cheeks (and I don't mean those flanking my nose, either !). They are one of our specialities: male and female Bearded Tits; the female's colours almost exactly matching those of the reeds.

Attachments

• 217pse.jpg
    217pse.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 632
  • 087pse.jpg
    087pse.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 561
Your pictures look really good, I'm still waiting to see my first bearded tit, where did you see them? I'm visiting Norfolk the first week of March would love to be able to tick them off my life list.

How far away would you say the birds are in your pics?

I have been using the 4K video quite a bit of late and then extracting 8mp stills off the video. The quality is very good in most cases and sometimes better than a similar shot taken using the normal process. Here are some examples. They were originally in the 3.5-4.5mb size, but I'm not sure how good they will look at the reduced sizes this forum requires. In their original size they look as good as any "normal" still shot.

These do look very good :t:

Lovely Bearded Tit shots Firsttreesjohn. I can see how well the female is camouflaged against the reeds. The photos are great quality as well.

Thank you, Marsh Warbler, for posting this, for our delectation and delight. Beware: reduce the volume, those who haven't yet played this.

Whilst I found it very entertaining, I didn’t understand most (!) of what this enthusiastic chap was saying.

For me, one of the most important features of a bridge camera is its compact size and portability. To add to this, by means of bazooka-like lengtheners, seems counter-intuitive.

If one wants a long lens camera, then go for a DSLR. Simples !

Attachments

• meerkat with scope.jpg
    meerkat with scope.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 139
Dear firstreesjohn,
FZ1000 + Raynox 2025 = 400 * 2.2 = 880 mm (eq.)
I don't know DSLR with 4k video capabilities and lens with 17,6x magnification under 1000€
And I think DSLR with 400-500 mm lens + 2x extender still bigger, heavier and more expansive.

IMHO ;-)

MW

PS. Sorry for my bad english!

Last edited:
Dear Marsh Warbler: I was hoping someone else might answer this ! I believe we’re arguing the same case and something has been ‘lost in translation’. I am definitely NOT advocating a DSLR- and have never owned one.

It is portability, compactness, weight, ease-of-use and price that influences my decision to ‘go for’ a bridge camera (combined with the relatively excellent performance from macro to distant), every time.

With the internal cropping feature, a ‘zoom’ to 800mm is possible- not far short of the performance with what looks like the extremely unwieldy Raynox extension.

I await the emergence of more butterflies, before reviewing its performance in this respect.

Anyone who knows: I’ve recorded a short, comparative video of this Red Admiral and would like to upload it. How to, please ?

BTW: attached is a real Robin.;)

Attachments

• 017psePAINT.jpg
    017psePAINT.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 018psePAINT.jpg
    018psePAINT.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I’m afraid a ‘senior moment’ was suffered yesterday: I didn’t mean ‘upload a video’, but how to make a still from the video I recorded

I’m hoping scodgerott might assist, in this respect.

Thank you, in any case, njlarsen.

Hi Firsttreesjohn, I have been away without an internet connection and am just catching up. I do all my video stills in the camera. It won't matter if you have deleted the video from the camera, as you can re-load it back onto the SD card. I have done it other ways, but you always lose resolution, although unless you want to enlarge it greatly, it probably won't make much difference. The way I do it out of the camera is to load the file into Quicktime and do a screen shot from the paused image.

Finally, a comparison

I do all my video stills in the camera. It won't matter if you have deleted the video from the camera, as you can re-load it back onto the SD card. The way I do it out of the camera is to load the file into Quicktime and do a screen shot from the paused image.

Thank you, scodgerott.

With the camera a little distance away, I decided, for the meanwhile, to take a screenshot from the video, paste it into Paint, edit using Photoshop, then re-export to Paint (for down-sizing). Phew !

The next time, I will try it in the camera, as this isn’t of the same quality of the ones you posted before.

[LH: original still; RH: from video, cumbersomely edited, as detailed above.]

Detail has obviously been lost, but it would 'do', in an emergency, for rarity submissions, etc.

Attachments

• 017psePAINT.jpg
    017psePAINT.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 292
  • RAdmiral pse PAINT.jpg
    RAdmiral pse PAINT.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 295
Both those butterfly shots look pretty good, but the normal still shot is better. I do think the "in camera" process delivers the best results. I am finding that in many cases, the 8mp still from the video is better than the normal still of the same subject. However, for quick shots the normal still process is much faster, as the video has a small lag at the start and almost 2 seconds to stop after you push the button again.

First attempt with the FZ1000. Image grabbed from 4K footage using VLC player. 400mm on lens, no post processing.

These are some of the few remaining Pinkfeet at Strathbeg before they head north.

Attachments

• pinkfoot1100.jpg
    pinkfoot1100.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
First attempt using 4K photo method

Tried the 4K photo method with the FZ1000.
The shots were taken hand held. Will be interesting to get tripod footage.
The image with the tit flying away from the feeder (fast bird !) was cropped slightly and both images reduced in size, other than that no post processing.

Attachments

• mallard.jpg
    mallard.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 529
  • tit.jpg
    tit.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
All those shots look very good to me. The details are there and that makes them indistinguishable from any "normal" still shot. There is no movement blur in any of them, other than the bird flying away, so I doubt if the tripod shots would look any better. Keep up the good work.

FZ1000 - 4K slomo footage.

You might be interested in this test I've just done using FZ1000 video footage in 4K photo mode.

I set the camera running in 4K photo mode.

The footage was then edited in Power Director software. I selected the short section of video I wanted then set the video speed to 0.2 times the original speed. I also used the PowerDirector image stabilisation software because the video was taken hand held. The result can be seen on the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nvDE4XpCcc

This effectively gives 4K slomo from any 4K video stream.

The FZ1000 does smooth 1080p slomo but the above method allows slomo from any 4K video stream.

Last edited:
Flight shot

Quite pleased with this young Iceland Gull from yesterday, at Salthouse Duck Pond.

It was wheeling around, as a couple threw bread into the air, for all the thronging sea-gulls.

Attachments

• 012psePAINT.jpg
    012psePAINT.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 573
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back