• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (3 Viewers)

pectoral sandpiper still showing well at forfar loch today. other highlights were 3 sparrowhawks, curlew sandpiper & ruff at montrose basin, arctic skuas and bottlenose dolphins at usan.

Attachments

• pectoral 1.jpg
    pectoral 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 94
I had really nice views of a magpie while walking along Byron street in Dundee 8.45 am this morning,the bird was hopping along the rooftops and dropping down into the gardens before flying across the road right in front of me,5 mins later another 2 magpies flew over at loons road

Self-found (or not)

Having got back from a conference in Spain about midnight I took myself off to Fife Ness mid-afternoon hoping to time it as the rain cleared. I was slightly early(!), but it dried up before long. I began at Fife Ness Muir and picked up a few crests and plenty of blackbirds. Whilst in amongst the crests a soft tacking drew my attention to a brownish warbler above me. I immediately thought of dusky but I then lost it (it was still raining which didn't help). I then got on to a blackcap in the same place, so I was wondering if I'd been hallucinating. Emerging from the trees the bird immediately started calling from some bushes and revealed that it was indeed a dusky warbler. I then had a job texting news out (lack of signal) but in doing so picked up my camera and found a birding couple who joined me. It finally showed well enough for photos, but I also found out that it had been trapped the day before (news posted in the ringing hut window but nowhere else)!
The photos of course show the ring nicely.
I guess by punkbirder rules it still counts as a self-found, but somewhat frustrating.

Rob

Of course it was self-found Rob. What a cracking day.

I guess you don't get any birds in your new garden?;)

I had a run up the glen through to Lintrathen. Lots of Mute Swans, Red-breasted Merganser and all the usual ducks. The White-tailed Eagle is still hanging around (reported in the book today) but I didn't see it. The water level is very low.

We returned to Blair via the back road past Strathmore Golf Course, a mixed flock of Redwing, Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush and finches were at the junction at Bardmony.

Note for anyone planning a trip round that way: Rattray High Street is closed from Balmoral Road to the Primary School. And various roads are (or are planned to be) closed in the Alyth/Lintrathen area over the next week or two.

There was a blink of sun, so couldn't resist taking a picture of the colourful trees reflected in the water.

Attachments

• Lintrathen Lochbf.JPG
    Lintrathen Lochbf.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Mute Swanbf.jpg
    Mute Swanbf.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 79
migrants a bit thin on the ground this weekend in Angus, only saw Blackcaps and Goldcrests today, no sign of the Barred Warbler reported at Usan yesterday.
Did an hours sea-watching at Fishtown of Usan, plenty Kittiewake movement and a single Pom Skua harrassing them for a while.
Had decent views of a White-tailed Eagle at Montrose Basin yesterday, wing-tagged Yellow 3.
Took a short video clip which includes a Kingfisher too !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0uC8lMT5Y

saw my first Crossbills of the year at Montreathmont forest yesterday, a group of around 25 flitting amongst the Pines.
Not much signs of Migrants at the coast, though did see 6 Fieldfare come in off the sea at Usan as well as movements of Pinkfeet still coming in too.
I spent a couple of hours at Lunan Bay fter lunch . a nice Adult Pomarine Skua was the best bird, also had a Bonxie, couple of Arctic Skuas, Long-tailed ducks and a mixed flock of Common and Velvet Scoter.
There were 3 ringed Gulls among the flock on the beach; a White band Black-headed Gull, a Yellow band Herring Gull and a Red band Common which flew before I could photograph its ring.

Attachments

• ringed gulls 023.jpg
    ringed gulls 023.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 69
  • ringed gulls 007.jpg
    ringed gulls 007.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 81
Spent the day leading the Angus & Dundee Bird Club round some of my local lochs;
Started off at Forfar loch this morning with a Snipe showing really well sitting preening in the sun. Plenty wildfowl on the loch too; Tufted duck, Teal, Gadwall and quite a few Goldeneye.
Excellent views of Bullfinch, Goldcrest and Redwings before we headed up to Kinnordy Loch outside Kirriemuir.
Here we had plenty Greylags with some Pinkfeet too. Other birds seen were ; Goosander, Shoveler, Treecreeper and a Dipper.
We next visited Lintrathen Loch which had a large amount of Wildfowl on it; Greylags, Pinkfeet & Canada Geese as well as Goldeneye, Teal, Tufties and Wigeon. Star bird of the day was a Slavonian Grebe which showed really well for everyone to see.

winter plumage Slavonian Grebe was still at Lintrathen Loch yesterday lunchtime. lot of Pinkfeet, Canada & Greylags too.

Attachments

• slavonian 005.jpg
    slavonian 005.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 88
I have had problems finding stonechats this year ,I have breeding birds on 3 of my local walks but not a single bird was seen this year,stonefaction kindly shared one of his recent sightings in leuchars with me and I headed over there on Monday, 1 male stonechat seen plus 3 probable birds (sun went behind a cloud )I also came across approx 30 goldcrests which is the most I have seen in one day,other birds seen were,collared dove x5/jay x3/coal tit/wren/chaffinch/jackdaw/carrion crow/oystercatcher/lapwing/woodpigeon/blackbirds/treecreeper/pheasant/rooks/great spotted woodpecker/mistle thrush/buzzard/kestrel

Attachments

• stonechat.JPG
    stonechat.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 110
  • treecreeper.JPG
    treecreeper.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 77
  • wren2.JPG
    wren2.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
  • wrenf.JPG
    wrenf.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
  • goldcrest.jpg
    goldcrest.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 96
Had a walk with the dog at Kinnordy Loch during lunchbreak and found a redhead Smew showing well from the East Hide, plenty of Teal on the loch as well as Greylags,Goldeneye, Goosander, Gadwall, Wigeon and Tufties.
I popped down to Carnoustie in the afternoon as a Grey Phalarope was reported on the local grapevine, after an hour searching I finally found it...and it was worth it !
I was sitting taking pictures of it when it literally swam right up to me...amazing !
Loads of other waders at Carnoustie too, Sanderling, Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Turnstone, Dunlin, Purple Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover and Redshank.
Well worth having a look.

Attachments

• grey phalarope 042.jpg
    grey phalarope 042.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi Gus, will be passing Carnoustie this Sunday, might manage an hour to drop in, what's the best spot for a quick visit, never been before, thanks

Jim.

Hi Gus, will be passing Carnoustie this Sunday, might manage an hour to drop in, what's the best spot for a quick visit, never been before, thanks

Jim.

Hi Jim, if you drive into Carnoustie and follow the signs for the Leisure centre ( down past the CO-OP) the area between the playpark and east towards the Coastguard station is really good for waders....well worth a look for sea-ducks,divers etc too..... good luck, maybe the Grey Phalarope will be hanging around.

Grey Phalarope was still at Carnoustie beach today, showed really well this afternoon...despite the dog-walkers.
Also there were; Sanderling, Redshank, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Brent Geese & Purple Sandpipers.

Attachments

• purple sandpiper2 089.jpg
    purple sandpiper2 089.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 84
  • purple sandpiper2 042.jpg
    purple sandpiper2 042.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 76
Grey Pharalope was on Carnoustie Beach this morning but was not being allowed to settle In any area,due to people and dogs walking on the Beach.Therefore,It became very hard to find.

Also a Great northern Diver (calling) was just offshore.

Started with a nice Green-winged Teal at Kinnordy Loch this morning ..a good start to the day.
nice to see Kinnordyvolounteer again too !
Had a drive south of Kirriemuir and saw hundreds of Fieldfare and Redwings stripping the roadside trees of berries.
An afternoon visit to Carnoustie was very enjoyable, more birders than i've seen in one place for a long time....sadly there was no signj of the Grey Phalarope this afternoon.
Did see Ben Nevis,Stonefaction and Delia though...4 Birdforum birders in 1 day :t:
Did see Stonechat, Purple Sandpiper, Grey Plover and a Great Northern Diver which showed well and was calling too.
Headed home to kirriemuir and stopped to watch a nice Merlin at Padanarm...a nice end to the day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back