• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Botswana (Okavango) - Puzzling Francolin (?) (1 Viewer)

RichardP

Hi

May 1st 2015, at Sandibe in the Okavango.

I've just got round to keywording the pics from this trip, and this one doesn't seem to match the things that I listed at the time. I had listed Crested, but it doesn't look right - particularly leg colour. Legs and face/neck seem to match Orange River (pale morph), but the rest of the colouration doesn't quite match the views in either of my guide books.

Any thoughts welcome.

Richard

Attachments

• Sandibe_Francolin01.jpg
    Sandibe_Francolin01.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Sandibe_Francolin02.jpg
    Sandibe_Francolin02.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 45
Andrew

I see where you are coming from - we were definitely seeing Burchell's Sandgrouse in that area on another day. I guess that I was misled by the posture - I normally associate a less upright stance with Sandgrouse (a la the male in my first extra picture) - and the other pics I have of female Burchells ( like the second extra attached) seem to have plainer faces.

It certainly seems to be a better fit than either of the Francolins.

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• Sandibe_Francolin04.jpg
    Sandibe_Francolin04.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Sandibe_Francolin03.jpg
    Sandibe_Francolin03.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 28
I agree with Andrew on young Burchell's - if you zoom in on the second picture you can see the feathering of the front of the tarsus which is indicative of Sandgrouse.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back