• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillar for ID (1 Viewer)

judge9847

This really is for my own information! I was with my grandson on a pond dipping morning down at the Dungeness Nature Reserve a couple of weeks back and there, amongst the reeds, was the caterpillar that's the subject of the attached photograph.

I've looked on the net and in a (very limited) book I've got but I can't even begin to see anything that looks like it.

And that's kind of annoying isn't it? :eek:) It sort of gets to you when you can't figure or make out what something is! (I was even reduced to looking in the books in one of the local bookshops yesterday!)

So if anyone can save me and tell me what it is, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 167
judge9847 said:
This really is for my own information! I was with my grandson on a pond dipping morning down at the Dungeness Nature Reserve a couple of weeks back and there, amongst the reeds, was the caterpillar that's the subject of the attached photograph.

I've looked on the net and in a (very limited) book I've got but I can't even begin to see anything that looks like it.

And that's kind of annoying isn't it? :eek:) It sort of gets to you when you can't figure or make out what something is! (I was even reduced to looking in the books in one of the local bookshops yesterday!)

So if anyone can save me and tell me what it is, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi Mi Lord,

Your caterpillar is that of the Garden Tiger Moth, A. caja just about fully grown, what may have upset your I.D is it appears to have picked up some lumps of white fluff on the tail end, these wont harm it and will be discarded with the larval skin when it pupates.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hi Mi Lord,

Your caterpillar is that of the Garden Tiger Moth, A. caja just about fully grown, what may have upset your I.D is it appears to have picked up some lumps of white fluff on the tail end, these wont harm it and will be discarded with the larval skin when it pupates.

Harry

Harry, you are an officer, a gentleman AND a genius! Many, many thanks for the information.

(And the "Judge" bit is a hang over from my school days. I can't tell you why but it's very probably a corruption of "Ginger", a reference to my hair colour. Mind you, I quite like the "Mi Lord" bit ...

Again, many thanks for your swift reply

judge9847 said:
Harry, you are an officer, a gentleman AND a genius! Many, many thanks for the information.

(And the "Judge" bit is a hang over from my school days. I can't tell you why but it's very probably a corruption of "Ginger", a reference to my hair colour. Mind you, I quite like the "Mi Lord" bit ...

Again, many thanks for your swift reply

Hello Judge,

If your grandson would like to see a couple of pictures of the adult moth they can be found on the following thread by Angus dated 21.06.2004.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=171264#post171264

Regards

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back