• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths in Northern Territory (1 Viewer)

Dom F

Are there any on line resources for identifying moths in Australia in particularly those found in the NT.
Thanks

Hi Dom

But they reckon that half of those are undescribed.
It will certainly be a challenge but you can always try posting difficult ones here.

Martin

Hi Dom,

You posted a while back about identifying moths. I am currently looking for samples to have DNA tested which will provide genetic info as well as identifications. Are you in a position to supply actual specimens? So if interested please contact me at [email protected].

Hi
I expect that it was to id moths from photos as, I believe, it is exceedingly difficult to obtain collecting permits in Australia. Then, of course there are restrictions on extracting DNA.
Of course, I may be wrong.
Have you tried any Australian museums?
Martin

Collecting permits difficult to obtain and half of 20,000+ species undescribed! It seems a real dichotomy to me that is certainly not favouring the preservation of biodiversity.

I wonder how many collected but undescribed species there are from many many parts of the world because they are 'illicit'.

(By the way happy birthday Martin.)

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks Paul
It is a real problem. Whilst collecting may be outlawed, or made extremely difficult, vast tracts of land are deforested - losing whatever biodiversity was there but we will now never know because the habitat has been destroyed. It's not just in the tropics, either, but the scale of loss there is at its greatest.
It's all rather depressing so best to enjoy those species that we can still see - and continue to monitor so that sudden declines can be picked up before it's too late.

James
If you have any unid'd moths do post them as someone might be able to help.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi James
Despite its appearance I think this will be a noctuid. It rings vague bells so I'll have a think.
Martin

Australia has already shown me Noctuids that are Geometrids and Pyralids that are Arctiids, Arctiids that are Tineids and etc. so I wouldn't be surprised.

Goodness knows how they classified these things though. It is probably Catocalinae if it is a Noctuid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back