• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths - 2015 (1 Viewer)

Had an encouraging night last night, circa a dozen species around the trap, with only one inside this am (trap closed at 3.45am). A lifer in the form of my 1st Lackey!...plus a very nice Barred Yellow (believe only my 2nd ever), and as a BTW..found this 3rd image in my gallery (taken 24.7.14) can't find in Lewingtons..HELP...thankyou.

Attachments

• DSC05683 (2) Lackey, 25.6.15.jpg
    DSC05683 (2) Lackey, 25.6.15.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC05692 (2) Barred Yellow.jpg
    DSC05692 (2) Barred Yellow.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Odd Bof..jpg
    Odd Bof..jpg
    43 KB · Views: 91
I've had Humming Bird Hawk Moth feeding on red Valerian in my garden last week & this week. Good to see them back again for a second year.

Had an encouraging night last night, circa a dozen species around the trap, with only one inside this am (trap closed at 3.45am). A lifer in the form of my 1st Lackey!...plus a very nice Barred Yellow (believe only my 2nd ever), and as a BTW..found this 3rd image in my gallery (taken 24.7.14) can't find in Lewingtons..HELP...thankyou.

I think it might be a rather sad looking Riband Wave.

David

39 species on the 24th and 26th make them the best ever June nights in the 6 years I've been running the trap in my garden. I've never hit 40 in June but maybe tomorrow night? I've actually never had more than 50 species in one night in any month. How many do the rest of you record?

118 species for the year so far, 313 since I started in 2010.

Not in the garden but!...a superb life-tick yesterday, a bit like walking through a cloud of ''small'' Wallcreepers, on the Severn, Bridgnorth, Shropshire, unsure of their status at the locality? (at least) circa a dozen seen.

Attachments

• P1100803 (2) Scarlet Tiger 5..jpg
    P1100803 (2) Scarlet Tiger 5..jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 86
  • P1100820 (2) Scarlet Tiger, Bridgnorth, 28.6.15 No.2..jpg
    P1100820 (2) Scarlet Tiger, Bridgnorth, 28.6.15 No.2..jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P1100814 (2) Scarlet Tiger 4. Bridgnorth..jpg
    P1100814 (2) Scarlet Tiger 4. Bridgnorth..jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 75
Still not got into the field but a friend was out in habitat on Saturday night. He retained a few micros for me to assist on identification and good to get the eye back in. Assara terebrella was the third county record after one from the same site last year.

At home this morning, 25 species - 15 macros and 10 micros - and numbers still dominated by Heart and Dart. Herald, Leopard and a couple of noctuellas only ones of note really.

All the best

Last edited:
Easily my best ever night last night. 61 species with a couple still to ID. A few new for the garden including Red-necked Footman. I had a Plumed Fan-foot two nights ago following one in late June in 2014.

Hi Ken
The southwest is one of their strongholds.
Must have been great to see.
Martin

Yes thanks Martin, so much so that... I'll put Scarlet Tiger on my ''local wish list''.

Last night was easily my best night of the year, circa 40 species, highlights being my 2nd ever Leopard Moth!! Small Yellow Wave (a 1st), and my 1st (for the year) Diaphania perspectalis....looking forward to those Saharan winds. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back