• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly day, Lithuanian style... (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Early July, eastern Lithuania, peak butterfly season ...off for a mega day, an impressive forty-seven species under the belt by day's end.

Kicked off in the Labanoras area, initial mooching around revealing a relatively limited bunch of species such as the standard Heath Fritillaries, Ringlets and Small Heaths typical of the area, but with a move to a flower-rich embankment adjacent to wetlands things took a decided upswing – not only an impressive four species of coppers (Large Copper, Scarce Copper, Purpleshot Copper and Purple-edged Copper), but also both Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Lesser Marbled Fritillary, neither particularly abundant butterflies on my day-to-day searches. However, pride of place at this locality, flitting from flower to flower in quite a damp area, a very nice Geranium Argus – a very localised species in Lithuania and the second I have ever seen in the country. In total however, 18 species of butterfly at this locality, not particularly high.

For any hope of a high total, an approximate ad hoc plan evolved for the remainder of the day - shifting 90 km, my next localities were among my favourite butterfly sites in the country: forest rides and meadows to the south of the capital and nearby heaths – in the peak of the season, 30 to 35 species per day are not unusual. With the relatively low numbers this year however, I was far from sure this would be achievable. First up, a long forest ride and flowery margins – Silver-studded Blues and Amanda's Blue, White Admiral, High Brown Fritillary and Silver-washed Fritillary, the tally rose. Numbers not exceptionally high, but the variety was there. One Large Wall Brown, the trio of Pearly, Chestnut and Small Heaths, a grand total of four skipper species, the best being a couple of smart Large Chequered Skippers. At the end of the ride, I broke out into open meadow – Queen of Spain Fritillaries greeted me, one of my favourite of all butterflies. Also Commas, more White Admirals, a very early Pale Clouded Yellow, a couple of Weaver's Fritillaries and both Scarce and Purple-edged Coppers. 28 species recorded in this little segment, 14 new to the day.

A short drive away, an area of heath and adjacent forest land offers opportunity for a few restricted-range species, so an hour or so here also added more – key among these, freshly emerged Spotted Fritillaries, a single Niobe Fritillary, a good number of Moorland Clouded Yellows and, after considerable searching, two or three Graylings (searched high and low on the heaths, then found them settling on my car!). Also added Lesser Purple Emperor here, plus Reverdin's Blue and Small Copper. I failed however to find Rock Grayling, a species usually quite common at this spot. Still, 20 species seen, eight new to the day, the session's tally was now sitting at 40 species!

To add a few more, I need to add kilometres – in late afternoon, I quickly zipped to a road embankment some kilometres west of Vilnius, smoothly adding Turquoise Blue at a regular location for the species (but failing to find either Little or Short-tailed Blues, also sometimes at the same site), then moved a little to the north to end the day in Dukstos Regional Park. Lots of old deciduous forest here, plus flower-rich meadows ...by hook and crook, seeking them out along the edge of woodland and in meadow, a total of 20 species noted in these final hours of the day, six new to the day: Holly Blue, Mazarine Blue, Purple Emperor, Large Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady, Woodland Brown.

So, in a year far from classic, a grand total of 47 species seen. I missed a few common species, such as Red Admiral and Peacock, and failed to find several that I could expect on a dedicated day, including Dingy Skipper, Rock Greyling, Little Blue, Short-tailed Blue. Also no hairstreaks, but these are never easy. So, all in all, not bad – especially given it was still about a week short of the absolute peak of the season. In a previous year, with a little bit of planning, I have managed 53 species in a single day ...a total I think can easily be broken. But with long sunny days remaining elusive, I fear not this year!

Last edited:
A selection of the species noted during the day (but these photographs from earlier session!):

Attachments

• Turquoise Blue lith 1.jpg
    Turquoise Blue lith 1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Lesser Marbled Fritillary rop 1.jpg
    Lesser Marbled Fritillary rop 1.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 41
  • Spotted Fritillary lith.jpg
    Spotted Fritillary lith.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Queen of Spain Fritillary 2.jpg
    Queen of Spain Fritillary 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 45
  • White Admiral vil 2.jpg
    White Admiral vil 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 37
That's a wonderful selection of species. Very jealous, never seen about 94% of those.

Small nitpick -- greyling is spelt grayling even in Europe ;)

Big Butterfly Day, Part Two!

Two weeks earlier, I had managed 47 species, but with a weekend forecast bordering on perfect, unbroken sunshine and temperatures hovering around 25 C, it seemed a very good idea to take another stab at breaking the 50 species mark, even more so as quite a few more butterflies seemed to be on the wing than on my previous attempt, two weeks earlier. So it was, a route chosen to minimize the kilometres, but maximise the time spent in optimal locations.

Began early near my home to score with Turquoise Blue at the only location I know for them, then rapidly moved onto to the same forest rides and meadows as visited two weeks before. Over a few hours, a simply superb selection were noted, including no less than eight species of fritillaries (including Pallas's and Queen of Spain Fritillaries), five species of copper and five species of blue. Critically, these included Cranberry Blue and Reverdin's Blue, both species that are not too easy to find. Also clocked up Purple Emperor and White Admiral and, both species that were not on the wing two weeks earlier, Map Butterfly and Red Admiral. Brimstone were two-a-penny, various heaths and browns common, including Large Wall Brown, and skippers abundant.

Departing this splendid location, my day tally was already on 39 species, all bar Turquoise Blue and Small Heath from this site itself. Still however, another 11 species was going to be a tall order ...I needed to find all of the specialities at the next couple of sites, plus a few extras! Well, it went like clockwork – a few Moorland Clouded Yellows were still flying at the first site, while the heathland of the next location eventually produced all the goods that I was hoping for. None very common, the species sought and found were, in order, Spotted Fritillary, Niobe Fritillary, Grayling, Rock Grayling and Dusky Meadow Brown. Of these, Niobe Fritillaries are usually very scarce, but I managed to find at least half a dozen, while the Dusky Meadow Browns are usually common, but I found only a single after about an hour of searching. Lots of Silver-studded Blues here, plus a handful of Small Coppers.

I was now on 45 species, five short of my target. The problem was where to find additional species – I could bump into a Peacock perhaps (although I had not seen any flying for quite a while), maybe a Painted Lady with a bit of luck, plus always a chance of a Swallowtail or Camberwell Beauty. None however had any specific sites, so instead I moved a little to the north of Vilnius to Dukstos Regional Park – Mazarine Blues and Lesser Purple Emperors had been flying a few days before, so I though a reasonable chance of these. A half hour or so of nothing, then I stumbled across a very fine site – two Lesser Purple Emperors on a small ride and, immediately adjacent, a nice flower meadow absolutely buzzing with butterflies. A very pleasurable half hour or so followed, loads of butterflies, but best of the lot, Short-tailed Blue, Mazarine Blue and, finally, a Peacock.

Well, I was now on 49 species. Searched high and low for a Dingy Skipper or something, perhaps a Large Tortoiseshell. Scanned the forest edge for a wayward hairstreak of some sort. Nothing.

Hmm, it was now a bit late in the season, but perhaps I could find Woodland Brown at a site close to Vilnius itself. Also drew a blank, it was now late afternoon and I began to think my tally would stay one short of fifty. Then, the butterfly gods must have smiled down upon me, a large patch of roadside flowers caught my attention. I stopped and took a wander, a lot of common butterflies such as Ringlets and Small Tortoiseshells. Also a couple of Holly Blues. Then, a small dark butterflies on a distant flower ...crept in, oh wow, a hairstreak, grabbed a couple of record shots to ensure there would be no identification mishaps with this sometimes difficult group, then took a closer look. What a wonderful little butterfly, a White-letter Hairstreak, my first for two years and, importantly, species number 50!

Three minutes later, a Painted Lady settled adjacent, species number 51. Day over, a splendid selection. Though it does not quite reach my personal record of 53 species, it is a rare event that I see 50 species in a day in Lithuania, so I was happy indeed.

(pictures to follow)

Sounds like a wonderful day.UK butterfly enthusiasts can only look on in envy as such a day total would be impossible here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back