• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What makes a tortrix a tortrix, a pyrale a pyrale etc (1 Viewer)

smokenack

I can normally recognise a tortrix easily enough and then try to work out the species. Same with the Pyralidea, Crambidae, Gracillaridae etc. Sometimes however I can't, and it's these moths that I normally have to ask for assistance with or just give up on. I just don't have the time to look through my books from cover to cover or trawl through every image on UKMoths. Yesterday I had a moth that I initially thought was a Pyrale, then maybe a Gelechid and it was identified for me by DavidG as a tortrix!

So are there features recognisable from a photo from which you can say 'That's a Gelechid' or 'That's a Tortrix' etc. or are these features only really discernible under a microscope?

Thanks

Nick

Not really but, with experience, you can get a good idea from the 'jizz'. If you have Sterling & Parsons (& Lewington) have a look at the introductory chapters and try to work a few through the key. If you have some spare time during the winter months, have a look at Martin Corley's Guide to Micro Families, which you can download from: http://www.angleps.com/guides.php
Over time there are little hints that you pick up, such as pyrals 'tend' to rest with their antennae folded back (and often crossed) over their back, rather than held forward (Ypsolophidae, Plutellidae, Coleophoridae). resting posture can often help, e.g head-up (Caloptilia, etc.), or head-down (Argyresthia, etc.).
I hope this helps.
Martin

Why is something as big as Mother of Pearl a micro?
Andy
Hi Andy
A good question. It's actually an unfortunate misnomer as it has nothing to do with size. It's more of an evolutionary thing with the micros containing more of the primitive groups. In the main it works - but there are also exceptions, e.g. the pyralids, which some people refer to as "mesolepidoptera".
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back