• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Really dim question about electrics (1 Viewer)

smokenack

I have a 125MV Robinson Trap. I assume that the choke unit gradually increases the voltage to the bulb so that it doesn't explode or something. I have just bought a blacklight bulb to take on holiday with me. Can I try this out in my Robinson trap using the choke unit as I can't really be bothered to dismantle it, I just want to see how well the blacklight bulb performs. So the question is will the choke unit do any damage to the blacklight bulb and yes I am that dim about these things.

I've used a blended bulb on holiday before but it gets really hot and is so bright it draws too much attention to itself, I'm hoping that the blacklight bulb will be less conspicuous on my balcony..

Hi
Not sure exactly how the choke works either (not an electrician) but I do know you shouldn't use it with the wrong sort of bulb. What sort of fitting does it have (two prongs, three prongs or an Edison screw)? Didn't the supplier state if it needed a choke. It might be possible to tell from the code printed on the bulb or the metal base.
Whatever you do, don't try it until someone gives you a definitive answer. You may blow the bulb or even damage your trap.
An alternative might have been a WEM light.
Martin

Thanks Martin. It has an Edison Screw fitting. I bought the bulb that fits the ceramic bulb holder that I take with me on holiday, screwed onto a short piece of decking plank. I'll probably try it out with this tonight with a white sheet. I wanted to use the Robinson as it has a rain guard. This was the best bulb I could find with a screw fitting. It was advertised as useful to attract insects but doesn't have the best UV wavelength for this.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/blb-tubular-lamp-25w-ese27-uva/p2198/

Wemlites are short actinic bulbs, rather like the energy-savig bulbs. There's an example here:
http://www.pestcontrolsupplies.co.uk/wemlite-shatter-resistant-20-watt-uv-lamp-screw-type-7inch
but they come in different sizes.
Martin

I recently bought one of these for a trip to Shetland. I tested it by dangling it out of a window and it attracted a decent number of moths.

All you need is the bulb, bulb holder, length of wire and a plug. It seems to be the optimal travel light kit (for birders into moths).

Once on Shetland, I'll source a cardboard box and some egg boxes when we buy our food for the week.

I recently bought one of these for a trip to Shetland. I tested it by dangling it out of a window and it attracted a decent number of moths.

All you need is the bulb, bulb holder, length of wire and a plug. It seems to be the optimal travel light kit (for birders into moths).

Once on Shetland, I'll source a cardboard box and some egg boxes when we buy our food for the week.

I'll give it a go. Bulb, bulb holder screwed to a piece of wood, length of wire and plug is exactly my travel kit.

I'm hoping for a couple of weeks in Mozambique in November, budget permitting, so there should be some nice, or at least different, moths.

Thanks Martin and Tittletattler.

Nick

We did the same in Bulgaria. It proved quite effective. Alas it predated my photography of moths and we haven't repeated since. I think when travelling abroad, if you get the chance to stay at a location for more than a night, this type of set up and photography thereafter can lead to reasonable results.

Otherwise its finding those 'normal' lights that are left on:-

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233732

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233737

All the best

I use a compact black fluorescent 25w bulb, which is self-choking, comes in BC or ES so just need bulb holder, wire and plug and costs about £10. I find it works just as well as a 22w actinic
BUT
it needs something else, such as white nylon, around it to make it attract moths. The white nylon glows purple and seems particularly attractive to micros.

I use a compact black fluorescent 25w bulb, which is self-choking, comes in BC or ES so just need bulb holder, wire and plug and costs about £10. I find it works just as well as a 22w actinic
BUT
it needs something else, such as white nylon, around it to make it attract moths. The white nylon glows purple and seems particularly attractive to micros.

This is how I try to trap on holiday, the bulb and bulb holder seated on a white sheet or the sheet draped over something with the light shining on it.
This is out of necessity as I can't really drag my Robinson around with me while I'm away. There's no comparison between the two. I put the WEMlite out surrounded by a sheet on Saturday night and in the morning found 8 moths of 4 species. The two nights flanking this, Friday and Sunday the Robinson attracted c.70 moths of c.20 species on each night. A part of the discrepancy is probably the moths have nowhere to hide away when using the sheet. I'll try to try the WEMlite in the Robinson this week to see how well it performs, after removing the choke unit first of course.

WEMlite in the Robinson last night. 17 moths of 7 species 10 of which were Large Yellow Underwings which is twice as many as I've been getting with the 125MV. No Square-spot Rustics or Light-brown Apple Moths which at the moment are my most numerous moths with the 125MV.

So about 25% of the moths that I'd get with the 125MV and about 33% of the species.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back