• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September in Aus (1 Viewer)

Dom F

Spring is underway here and the days are warming up (max temp over the last few days has been 30o) but the nights are still cooler (around 18-20o at the moment). The mothing is picking up and at this stage of the season it is looking like my current garden will be pretty good if not quite as productive as my previous one. The undoubted highlight last night was this Cossidae, Zeuzera aeglospila. this is the first Australain member of this groupthat I have seen, there are currently 65+ named species and over 100 known but currently undescribed species.
I am away for most of September so this months thread may be rather short

Attachments

• Zuezera aeglospila (1).JPG
    Zuezera aeglospila (1).JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Zuezera aeglospila (2).JPG
    Zuezera aeglospila (2).JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Zuezera aeglospila (3).JPG
    Zuezera aeglospila (3).JPG
    140 KB · Views: 37
  • Zuezera aeglospila (4).JPG
    Zuezera aeglospila (4).JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 52
The last couple of nights have been quite interesting - with fresh individuals of many species starting to appear.
Here are just a few of the highlights so far, I suspect this will spread over a couple of posts!
Epicrocis pulchra (Phycitinae)
Glaucocharis spp (Crambinae)
Haritalodes obliqualis (Pyraustinae)
Pachynoa xanthochyta (Pyraustinae)
Tanythera near spA BOLD (Pyralinae)

Attachments

• Epicrocis pulchra 1 9 15 (2).JPG
    Epicrocis pulchra 1 9 15 (2).JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Glaucocharis spDF1 2 9 15 (3).JPG
    Glaucocharis spDF1 2 9 15 (3).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Haritalodes obliqualis 3 9 15.JPG
    Haritalodes obliqualis 3 9 15.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Pachynoa xanthochyta 6 9 15 (4).JPG
    Pachynoa xanthochyta 6 9 15 (4).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Tanythera spA BOLD 5 9 15 (5).jpg
    Tanythera spA BOLD 5 9 15 (5).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 45
and some more...
Agrius convolvuli (Sphingidae)
Theretra oldenlandiae lewini (Sphingidae)
Theretra latreillii (Sphingidae) - I think although I really do struggle with latreilli and tryoni!
Autoba sp (Acontiinae) - another un identified Autoba with a dark stigma
Corgatha dichionistis (Acontiinae)

Attachments

• Agrius convolvuli 5 9 15 (2).JPG
    Agrius convolvuli 5 9 15 (2).JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Theretra oldenlandiae lewini 8 9 15 (1).JPG
    Theretra oldenlandiae lewini 8 9 15 (1).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Theretra latreilli 5 9 15 (3).JPG
    Theretra latreilli 5 9 15 (3).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Autoba spDF2a 5 9 15 (2).JPG
    Autoba spDF2a 5 9 15 (2).JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Corgatha dichionistis 3 9 15 (3).JPG
    Corgatha dichionistis 3 9 15 (3).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 44
and the last ones for today
Euproctis habrostola (Lymantriidae)
Penicillaria jocosatrix (Euteliinae)
Prasinocyma floresaria (Geometrinae)
Schistophleps albida (Lithosiinae)
Xestocasis balanochrysa (Cosmopteriginae)

Attachments

• Euproctis habrostola 5 9 15 (9).JPG
    Euproctis habrostola 5 9 15 (9).JPG
    228 KB · Views: 50
  • Penicillaria jocosatrix 3 9 15 (4).JPG
    Penicillaria jocosatrix 3 9 15 (4).JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Prasinocyma floresaria 3 9 15 (3).JPG
    Prasinocyma floresaria 3 9 15 (3).JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Schistophleps albida 3 9 15 (1).JPG
    Schistophleps albida 3 9 15 (1).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Xestocasis balanochrysa (3).JPG
    Xestocasis balanochrysa (3).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 55
Hi Dom
Some nice moths there.
With ref the Theretra's, I've spoken with a colleague and he has responded as follows:
Theretra latreillii has a pale stripe along the side of the side of the thorax (over the wings – see http://sphingidae.myspecies.info/si...latreillii_latreillii_BMNHE812917_male_up.jpg) that is missing in T. tryoni (http://sphingidae.myspecies.info/si...files/Theretra_tryoni_BMNHE812919_male_up.jpg).
Although the angle is not great in the phot, the moth in the image seems to have a pale stripe and so should be latreillii
I hope this helps
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Dom
Some nice moths there.
With ref the Theretra's, I've spoken with a colleague and he has responded as follows:
Theretra latreillii has a pale stripe along the side of the side of the thorax (over the wings – see http://sphingidae.myspecies.info/si...latreillii_latreillii_BMNHE812917_male_up.jpg) that is missing in T. tryoni (http://sphingidae.myspecies.info/si...files/Theretra_tryoni_BMNHE812919_male_up.jpg).
Although the angle is not great in the phot, the moth in the image seems to have a pale stripe and so should be latreillii
I hope this helps
Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin very helpful as the other feature I have been steered towards is not reliable once the wings are battered and worn, namely latreillii has a solid black trailing edge to forewing and tryoni has a broken black trailing edge

Another very interesting night last night, here are a few of the ID'd highlights but there are several that will hhave to wait for me to have time to research them
Chalcidoptera emissalis (Pyraustinae)
Endotricha melanochroa (Endotrichinae) - think the ID is correct on this one but there are several similar species over here
Dysgonia calefasciens (Erebidae)
Olene mendosa (Lymantriidae) this is a female
Uliocnemis biplagiata (Geometrinae) - although think these are now Protuliocnemis!

Attachments

• Chalcidoptera emissalis 10 9 15 (7).JPG
    Chalcidoptera emissalis 10 9 15 (7).JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Endotricha melanchroa 10 9 15 (5).JPG
    Endotricha melanchroa 10 9 15 (5).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Dysgonia calefasciens 10 9 15 (4).JPG
    Dysgonia calefasciens 10 9 15 (4).JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Olene mendosa 10 9 15 (6).JPG
    Olene mendosa 10 9 15 (6).JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Uliocnemis biplagiata 10 9 15 (1).JPG
    Uliocnemis biplagiata 10 9 15 (1).JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi Dom
re #2, we have a paratype of melanochroa and I have to say it only looks a little like your specimen, it seems to lack the white sub-apical marks completely. I can't say much else because we only have a few very old specimens.
Martin

Hi Dom
re #2, we have a paratype of melanochroa and I have to say it only looks a little like your specimen, it seems to lack the white sub-apical marks completely. I can't say much else because we only have a few very old specimens.
Martin

You are absolutely right Martin - said I didn't like them...;)
I had originally thought that the white was actually reflection from the additional light sources I use to compensate for the MV glow but on looking closer as well the white line through the wing is too straight, all the other melanchroa on BOLD / Lepidoptera Barcode sites have this line as having for want of a better description kinks or notches in it. This one will have to wait for my return so I can look through them all again, I did have a paper that described all the Endotricha but laptop has thrown a hissy and have lost it.
Thanks for this Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back