• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Cup Final Moths!! (1 Viewer)

black52bird

Is anyone else amazed by the moths at the European Cup Final between France and Portugal???!!!
One even landed on Ronaldo's face when he was down injured.
And in the slow motion clips you could see them in flight!!
They are constant, everywhere around the players and trainers
and staff!!
IMHO they are Silver Y moths.....
I'm writing this at half-time.

Best wishes

David

Yes, I saw a close up photo on Twitter, and they look like silver y moths. I'll be looking out for a Nightjar if it goes to extra time!

Yes. Silver Y landed on Ronaldo's face based on the TV coverage and they seem to be the majority but there appeared to be another more uniform light brown noctuid at one point.

All the best

Impressed that someone from Portugal is wondering about the moth when it is fluttering around the face of their injured key player

It seems I can't switch off the naturalist in me... ;) And it helps taking my mind off that bit of a catastrophe...! The team is holding well though.

I recall an instance reported many years ago when a football match (I seem to recall in Spain) had to be abandoned because it was too dark to play - migrating moths attracted to the floodlights had cut out so much light.

Now why can't that happen every match!

Martin

Since it was Portugal, shouldn’t they have been Silva Ys ?

But, after their marvellous victory, this should be ‘upgraded’ to Golden Y.

Were there bats too? - thought I saw some flitting close across the screen a few times (not at pitch level)
Paul

Not unlikely, Paul, with so many moths around....however, I think I know what you mean - seen especially from the centre-line camera, which was set back from the pitch - but I think they were actually just moths, too, seen in a different silhouetted way.

Best

David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back