• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-lined Sphinx Hyles lineata (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

I have a question about this moth; White-lined Sphinx Hyles lineata

Where does it sleep during the day?

I planted Desert Willows two years ago and it didn't take long for the Sphinx to find them. They show up at dusk, I lose sight of them when it gets really dark but they're there in the morning before sunrise. I never see them during the day. It seems like they just appear out of nowhere.

I've done the google search, read what data there is but I couldn't find reference to where they're sleeping during the day.

My photograph abilities are lacking. I have a Pani FZ1000, I set it to iA and use the pop-up flash. That's the extent of my knowledge for moth and night time shooting. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• WLSM-1.jpg
    WLSM-1.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 43
  • WLSM-2.jpg
    WLSM-2.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 33
  • WLSM-3.jpg
    WLSM-3.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 56
  • WLSM-6.jpg
    WLSM-6.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 47
  • WLSM-7.jpg
    WLSM-7.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 47
They rest during the day in the darkest parts of shrubs or dense foliage. I have seen them this way a couple of times.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back