• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luna Silkmoth (1 Viewer)

LuBird

Here is my Mom making friends with the Luna on June 23rd. In Pennsylvania they are quite rare. i held it for awhile too,but it staarted trembling and a vein on its furry body enlarged and I think it may have some kind of toxin it releases when it feels danger as my thumb got picky little pains in it. Mostly though it was unafraid and friendly and it stayed for hours,then flew gently off towards the top of a big Maple tree,very beautiful to watch:)

Attachments

• mom and moth.jpg
    mom and moth.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 210
Hi LuBird:

They are just the most beautiful and gentle creatures. If I was a predator and saw the pair of eyes they have painted on their wings I would be scared off too! One was resting on my canoe a few days ago after a rainstorm. I've never held one, though, that's interesting about the possibility of a toxin.

Hi Eve. I never saw one before and I had to go to a site on the web,moths of North America, to identify it. Then I saw a pic in Birds and Blooms April/May 2003. I have such a calm,serene sensation when I picture one resting on your canoe,silently gliding through the water,dip of the oar,oh, I must go for a canoe ride sooooooon!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back