• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarm? of painted Ladies (1 Viewer)

cjay

I have just received a report of a large swarm of Painted Ladies 10 miles inland at Culpho Suffolk (between Ipswich & Woodbridge). The (non expert) observer estimated 4 or 500!
Has anyone else in Britain seen large numbers today

I saw only one today at Lowestoft.
Colin J

I do believe that some years painted Ladies do arrive in swarms, although I think this is limited to the South and East coasts. Personally here in Cheshire I have only witnessed single butterflies visiting my Buddliahs. Get more Red Admirals and Small Tortoiseshells than any other species, get Commas, Buff Tips and Peacocks on a regular basis.

Quite a few PLs up here, saw about 10 yesterday, but not a swarm. Have heard of some other reports of swarms down south this summer though.

Jayhunter, is that a Buddleia or a Buddha they were visiting? ;)

Michael

There have certainly been plenty of painted ladies around my home in Surrey. The other day I thought I had a hummingbird hawk-moth in the garden. A friend said that there had also been an invasion of this species, with a report of c30 in a Kent garden. Apparently the same conditions that lead to a PL invasion can lead to a HHM invasion.
But I've seen few red admirals so far (another migrant species, I believe.)

Like the other postings I cannot report a swarm but they seem to be everywhere I go these days (Essex & Suffolk).

Dave

I was at Dunwich heath on the 1st June and painted ladies were passing through in ones and twos for several hours, probably saw well over 50!
Also saw 2 Hummingbird HM's yesterday at Caban Coch Resr in the Elan Valley (near Rhayader mid-Wales), my first HHM ever, absolutely amazing things.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back