• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fz28 (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

I've heard that the FZ38 is out in a few weeks, will there be a price drop on the FZ28? Was there a price drop on the FZ18 when the FZ28 was out? Is it good for wildlife photography as well as general family snaps? I've seen a video on youtube that shows it gives quite good detail on the Moon, has anyone here been able to do this in Britain? Thanks, I'm planning to get one when they drop lower than £200

Just scored an FZ28 but they are hard to find and now officially discontinued. Here in the States, Amazon does not tend to stock up on end of life models. This may be the trend. In other words, supply and demand, end of a model isn't always a guarantee that the price will go down appreciably. Refurb FZ18s are pretty easy to find, but refurb FZ28s now go for as much or more than new, if available. This is one model that promises to become a "classic", like the Fuji F30/31, for example. Of course, private deals and auction scores still out there.

The avchd and a few other features promise to make the 38 worth the wait, notwithstanding the lost photo opportunities between now and then.

With my FZ28, I'm hedging my bets. May get rid of it prior to FZ38 coming out, but it's a gem, despite some limitations, such as limited shutter speed range based on aperture (wide open, slower shutter limit; stopped down, faster shutter limit - even in manual).

As far as wildlife and family snaps, I got it mainly for outdoors, but the wide angle is very useful and the optical stabilization is quite effective. A search of flickr will show that it is quite capable.

Last edited:
hi guys, Im thinking bout getting the FZ28 with the converter, whats it like..

sean..also is it good for bird/wildlife shots.

Hi Sean,
If you go on the dpreview site and do a search for kittykat23uk she uses a Panasonic FZ18 + TCon which is basicly the same camera & she takes some cracking pics infact she maybe on birdforum.
Stan.

basically I am either going to get a macro lens for my 40d or a panasonic fz28 & want to know which would be better, I have seen some superb macro shots with the fz28 & thought it would save me some pennies. What do you guys think..

sean.

You can have another from me, kittykat

Bought a FZ38 a few weeks ago and just got the teleconverter. Haven't managed too many respectable shots yet but your galleries are some good inspiration of what is possible with this equipment..

Hi

Just bought the FZ28 and really impressed. I know Kitty takes great pictures as I have seen when we went to Beetley and Pensthorpe. Can anyone direct me in the right direction for a Teleconverter for this camera?

Can anyone direct me in the right direction for a Teleconverter for this camera?

Hi,

I have this camera as well, I have the Olympus TCON17 converter which screws onto the front of the main lens via a set of adapter rings. I have hardly taken it off since I bought it. A really good converter and camera setup in my opinion. That would be my advice to you. You won't regret it.

Regards,

Barry.

I am seriously considering the purchase of the FZ-35 this Christmas. In all my reading I see reference to the Olympus TCOn-17 as a telephotoconverter. Is there any reason to go this way instead of the Panasonic offering - the DMW-LT55??? It is also 1.7 - is this a new product, or is there an inherent defect which makes most go for the Oly instead?
thanks!!!
Ian

Hi Ian,

My choice for the TCON-17 converter was purely for money, I believe that is nearly a third of the price of the Panasonic version. And some of the reviews I have read claim the Olympus TCON-17 gives a slightly better performance than the Panasonic version. I personally cannot verify this but the TCON-17 is a great bit of kit and is capable of some pretty okay photos. The three shots attached taken with FZ28 with the TCON-17 converter.

Barry.

Attachments

• SNB711.jpg
    SNB711.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 206
  • gbbg1.jpg
    gbbg1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 210
  • reedbunt1.jpg
    reedbunt1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 221
Barry,
Thanks for your response. I checked into it, and here in the US, it is about 1/2 the price (on Amazon)!! Definitely something to take into consideration. Looks liek I will still have to buy the adapter, but still...$90 is $90!

FZ-35 plus TCON 1.7 - success!

Well, I went ahead and got the FZ-35 and the Olympus TCON 17. So far, I am very pleased with my purchase. Here are a couple of samples of the (cropped) results.

Attachments

• P1000317WW_Spotted Towhee.jpg
    P1000317WW_Spotted Towhee.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Roadrunner.jpg
    Roadrunner.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Loggerhead Shrike.jpg
    Loggerhead Shrike.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back