• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another moth for an ID. (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have scanned the CD I own but as I don't know my Moth families then it is quite hard to pin this one down, so it's over to you guys.

BTW can anyone recommend a good, but not expensive, moth book please.

Attachments

• Mystery 2877.jpg
    Mystery 2877.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 205
Reader said:
I have scanned the CD I own but as I don't know my Moth families then it is quite hard to pin this one down, so it's over to you guys.

BTW can anyone recommend a good, but not expensive, moth book please.

Hi Reader,
Garden Carpet I believe. For the book you only have a choice of two good currently available books on Macro's. A Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland. Waring and Townsend. £29.95 Paperback, Good with nearly all pictures of moths in the 'at rest' position, Or, A colour identification Guide to the Moths of the British Isles. Hardback, shows set specimens, getting a little dated but very good, price, you may pick up a secondhand copy for about £35 or you can but a new copy for a bit more. Shop around.

Harry

Spot on Harry. Thanks for the ID.

On my CD I have a thumbnail & a systematic index. On the thumbnail the family that this moth belongs to isn't on it, that's why I couldn't find it. It is on the systematic list but I would have had to know the name of the moth before I could find it. Unfortunately this shows up the limitations on the CD as there isn't even a search button on it.

The cost of those books are quite expensive for me, seeing as I am not serious about Moths, but I may have to re-think about getting one as I get more and more interested in them.

Reader said:
it is quite hard to pin this one down,
Now there's an unfortunate choice of phrase! ;)
As Harry says it's a Garden Carpet, one of the many geometrids, which mainly lie flat in the shape of a triangle (hence, geometry).
My recommendation for a book would be to go with Skinner's A colour identification Guide to the Moths of the British Isles but I believe the Waring and Townsend book that Harry mentioned is very good for beginners.

Cheers Chris & harry.

Yes it was an unfortunate choice of phrase wasn't it. LOL

I will have to look at a few web sites to see if any of those books are going cheap. I will have to get something sometime as it is frustrating trying to go through this very limited CD.

Reader said:
Cheers Chris & harry.

Yes it was an unfortunate choice of phrase wasn't it. LOL

I will have to look at a few web sites to see if any of those books are going cheap. I will have to get something sometime as it is frustrating trying to go through this very limited CD.

Hi Reader.
I have just checked abebooks.com there are several copies of Skinner available, from english bookshops, prices ranging from £35 to £45. This site usually prices things in US$ but a conversion chart is available. P&P is usually extra.

Beware, some second hand books of currently avaiable publications are more expensive than buying the book new from a normal retail bookseller on your high street.

I Googled the full title and this is the cheapest I found at Swatbooks.
COLOUR IDENTIFICATION GUIDE TO MOTHS OF THE BRITISH ISLES, SKINNER, BERNARD Hardback Shop info Stock on Order £32.40 + P & P: £2.25 £34.65

Harry

Last edited:
CJW said:
Now there's an unfortunate choice of phrase! ;)
As Harry says it's a Garden Carpet, one of the many geometrids, which mainly lie flat in the shape of a triangle (hence, geometry).
QUOTE]

Geometer translates literally as 'earth measurer' and refers to the fact that the larvae of geometers move in short steps as though are measuring out something, hence the American name of inchworm.

Geometry presumably comes from the fact that it the science of measuring everything (including the world).

MikeP

But that doesn't help someone wanting to learn the adults and I think my description, although inaccurate to you experts in latin, helps significantly more.

www.bookfinder.com is always worth a look.
Skinner's book is often on eBay starting at around £20, so it could be worth a shot.
I know I'll upset the experts, but as a novice I find Waring and Townsend far more user friendly. It shows the moths in their natural resting positions, rather than spread out and 'pinned'. the UKmoths website is also indispensible
www.ukmoths.force9.co.uk

I have managed to find one site that has the Skinner, Bernard for £31.50 inc of postage and the Waring and Townsend for £28.75 inc postage, but which would be the best one for me, or are there any other alternatives that members could suggest?

Reader said:
I have managed to find one site that has the Skinner, Bernard for £31.50 inc of postage and the Waring and Townsend for £28.75 inc postage, but which would be the best one for me, or are there any other alternatives that members could suggest?

Hello Reader,
Of the two, Skinner is the best buy at the price, your only saving a pound by getting Waring & Townsend.

However, for the beginner, Waring and Townsend is the better book albeit in paperback, because the illustrations show the species at rest, the way you will see them. There are one or two faults in this book, but these are more than made up for in better and more up to date information than in Skinner.
I just know CJW will disagree with me here, but that's my opinion.

You had better chase the moths out of your wallet and see how much you can afford. lol.

As for other books on British Moths, none compare with these two. I have some 150 books on British Butterflies, Moths, Dragonflies, Bees and other insects in my library, dating from the early 1800's, all were the best you could buy in their time, but in many cases their time is passed, a bit like me I suppose. I'm well beyond my use by date. lol.

Harry

harry eales said:
I just know CJW will disagree with me here, but that's my opinion.

Now when I was a lad, we didn't have these all singing all dancing new-fangled moth ID books and we had to learn to use Skinner. Yes, they are set specimens but I don't believe there is a better tome for the identification of macro moths.
Waring and Townsend is all very well for a beginner but once you're familiar with a species natural posture, then you're going to need to see the hindwings on many of them for an accurate ID. It wouldn't be long before your W&T is collecting dust and your Skinner is starting to look a little tattered.

Your helping me --- I think!!

Now which one -- baring in mind that I am a total novice and haven't a clue about families etc.

I would go for Waring+Townend. I have both, and use them side by side. I caught a Pale Mottled Willow and an Uncertain this morning and the paintings in W+T were much more like the real thing than the rather fuzzy photos in my old edition Skinner. The new edition is sharper, but I keep that for best.

And CJW - I started out using the two-volume South. No wonder I gave up moths for 20 years.

Steve

CJW said:
Now when I was a lad, we didn't have these all singing all dancing new-fangled moth ID books and we had to learn to use Skinner. Yes, they are set specimens but I don't believe there is a better tome for the identification of macro moths.
Waring and Townsend is all very well for a beginner but once you're familiar with a species natural posture, then you're going to need to see the hindwings on many of them for an accurate ID. It wouldn't be long before your W&T is collecting dust and your Skinner is starting to look a little tattered.

Wadya mean Chris,
Skinner is an all singing all dancing new fangled moth ID book, well at least compared to my first butterfly and moth book.

My first book was Edward Newmans, An Illustrated Natural History of British Butterflies and Moths 1869. No coloured Pics, but hundreds of magnificent woodcuts. Still worth having today and fairly cheap on the second hand market. This was followed by Richard South's butterfly and moth books.

I know we have had this chat in another thread, but for someone starting out who is also on a tight budget I still think Waring and Townsend is the better buy.

Harry.

harry eales said:
Wadya mean Chris,
Skinner is an all singing all dancing new fangled moth ID book, well at least compared to my first butterfly and moth book.

Yeah yeah, doubtless written on papyrus in Heiroglyphs!

harry eales said:
I know we have had this chat in another thread, but for someone starting out who is also on a tight budget I still think Waring and Townsend is the better buy.

Agreed.

Reader said:
So Waring and Townsend it seems to be. ---- Is that right???????

Yes Reader thats it. You could drop some heavy hints about being given Skinner for your next birthday or for Christmas.

Harry

harry eales said:
Yes Reader thats it. You could drop some heavy hints about being given Skinner for your next birthday or for Christmas.

Harry

Now why didn't I think of that? LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back