• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Sara orange-tip, pale tiger swallowtail, mournful duskywing, Acmon blue, silvery blue, painted lady, and Behr's metalmark in the space of 30 minutes today.

Today the sun shone in London for the first time this Easter + gave me my first multi- butterfly day this year. Visiting the local Ruislip Woods we had 8 male Brimstone, 8 Peacock, 4 Small Tortoiseshell, 3 Comma + a Small White.

Looks like this is now a regular fixture ;)

Added Brimstone to my UK yearlist on the 4th driving back from Essex - 1 over the central reservation of the M25, another beside the A303.

Peacocks and Small Tortoisehells back home.

Scarce Tortoiseshell Pulborough Brooks, Sussex, yesterday. Haven't seen the photos, but apparently it showed rather well

Scarce Tortoiseshell Pulborough Brooks, Sussex, yesterday. Haven't seen the photos, but apparently it showed rather well

Certainly did...I found it! First county record. It even landed on my girlfriend and I on several occasions. I've started a thread on it here with a couple of photos, but I'll upload more to my Flickr page (link in my signature)

Green Hairstreak but also on the wing Comma,Wall Brown, Speckled Wood, Swallowtail, Orange Tip, Bath White, Wood White, Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone Mallow Skipper and also an unknown Blue ie it moved to fast

Attachments

• P4090009 (Large).jpg
    P4090009 (Large).jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 60
I guess it is almost summer now - butterflies out in force in town (Falmouth) today -

Multiple Holly Blues, Large Whites, Small White + the regulars.
Possible Wall Brown in flight, but views too brief to rule out Small Tort I guess.

2 scarce tortoiseshell north warren rspb, suffolk, today per birdguides

Quite possibly a species that has been overlooked historically ... what are the chances of proper colonisation I wonder?

Certainly did...I found it! First county record. It even landed on my girlfriend and I on several occasions. I've started a thread on it here with a couple of photos, but I'll upload more to my Flickr page (link in my signature)

Nice find!! ;) Any particular colours/body lotions others should be using to help find their own ... ?!

Last edited:
Lots of Orange tips out on 19th, and the odd Blue, Holly?

If it's in gardens or randomly about much more likely to be Holly apparently ... Common is pretty much restricted to the correct grassland habitat ...

Speckled Woods out in force the last few days, and seeing so many more Small Tortoiseshells this last year than ever before.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back