• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best guide - (1 Viewer)

childhood memories

Hi - as an orchid hunter branching out which would you suggest is the best guide for a beginner - - not just pics - I like to read about the habitats, food, etc

Thanks

Hi
You don't mention if it's butterflies, moths, or both that you need.
I'll assume that latter and say that a usefly first guide would be Chris Manley's British Moths and Butterflies - A photographic guide. There's also an app based on it (https://www.birdguides.com/products/appbimoths).
Martin

Manley is now on the second edition which no longer includes butterflies (or the larval plates at the back) but is a better book for moths with greater coverage of micros. Personally I think it's good to have the butterflies dropped as they are so many excellent books that have them well suited.

If you want a good butterfly book with lots of information beyond ID (not for the field as it's too bulky) then I thoroughly recommend :

The Butterflies of Britain + Ireland (New revised edition) by Jeremy Thomas + Richard Lewington (British Wildlife Publishing)2014

Superb illustrations of all life history stages by our top entomological illustrator + so much information in the text- all totally readable + educational. Such a beautiful book!

The macro moth guide I've found the most helpful is Waring and Townsend. Nothing wrong with Manley I just find W&T easier to use.

For micros you can't beat the UKMoths website though you'll need to learn the families first to save yourself a lot of time. Sterling and Parsons is good for this.

The macro moth guide I've found the most helpful is Waring and Townsend. Nothing wrong with Manley I just find W&T easier to use.

For micros you can't beat the UKMoths website though you'll need to learn the families first to save yourself a lot of time. Sterling and Parsons is good for this.

Agree with this but find the two complement each other.

I am a beginner and have the W&T. I find it suprisingly easy to use. I thought moth id would be a nightmare, but this book is good. I can't compare it to anything else though.

Many thanks -
re - best European orchid book - not sure as I stick to UK - my favourite UK is Harraps' Orchids of Britain and Ireland - "Ophrys: The Bee Orchids of Europe (Kew Botanical Magazine Monograph)" is great but limited to one group

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back