• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Range of Pallas's Fritillary Argynnis iaodice (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Last year on my local patch in St Petersburg, Russia, we were lucky enough to find this species in abundance. From it discovery on 18th July it soon became the commonest of seven regular Fritillaries on site.

Looking at Tolman and Lewington, we are outside the stated, permanent range of this species and I has assumed that they were irruptive migrants, however, we have found the species again this year.

Is it that they move annually in to our region or have they now populated further North permanently along with Map Araschnia levana and Purple Emperor Apatura iris.

Apologies, that's the wrong pic, that's Silver Washed......don't know how to delete it?

Pic attached taken today

Andy

Attachments

• _DSC0481.jpg
    _DSC0481.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This is Pallas's......

Andy

Attachments

• _DSC0829.jpg
    _DSC0829.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 40
  • _DSC0834.jpg
    _DSC0834.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
If you edit post and click "go advanced", you can manage attachments at the bottom of the page and remove it.

Thanks Wolfy......prob is that after a while, the edit option does not appear?

I think you can only edit the current message and not do it retro.....

Andy

Last edited:
Last year on my local patch in St Petersburg, Russia, we were lucky enough to find this species in abundance. From it discovery on 18th July it soon became the commonest of seven regular Fritillaries on site.

Looking at Tolman and Lewington, we are outside the stated, permanent range of this species and I has assumed that they were irruptive migrants, however, we have found the species again this year.

Is it that they move annually in to our region or have they now populated further North permanently along with Map Araschnia levana and Purple Emperor Apatura iris.

Apologies, that's the wrong pic, that's Silver Washed......don't know how to delete it?

Pic attached taken today

Andy

Hi

I know nothing about Argynnis iaodice being thousands of kilometres South but after searching the internet I often find references showing the numbers spotted each year in Finland give it a try

Steve

PS I am reading a book Peter the Great what a terrible bloke tortured and killed his son, but saying that the Pope had great fun here in the Aude

Last edited:
If of any assistance, it is annually relatively common here in Lithuania from mid-July, ie pretty similar dates to you a little further north ...though certainly not as common as High Brown or Silver-washed Fritillary.

Thanks Jos,
I believe that you're within the normal range of the species whilst St Petersburg is within what's termed 'temporary occupancy'.

As we've seen the species two years running, I'm trying to understand if we now have a permanent population or a temporary one. I guess if we see them next year then that may be a better indication of a permanent population and thus a Northern extension of range.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back