• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

moth recording software (1 Viewer)

Gastronaut

Thanks

I use Bird Journal for all my wildlife records. They have a preloaded UK macro moth taxon list and I think a micro taxon list as well. For other countries you have to create your own custom list. Allows you to store images with each spp record - I find it easy to use. I think they have a Mac version

MapMate is pretty good and used by a lot of moth-ers. I imagine there is a Mac version.

David

The only problem I had with MapMate was that is was purely UK, that may have changed but I wanted all my records be they moths or birds to be in one place.

The only problem I had with MapMate was that is was purely UK, that may have changed but I wanted all my records be they moths or birds to be in one place.
I must admit I'm probably the last person to give advice on wildlife recording - my records are all over the place! I only use MapMate for UK moth recording, and mainly because it is the format that my county recorder prefers. My other records are kept on assorted spreadsheets, Word documents and blogs and I now have so many that the thought of unifying them into a single format is far too daunting!

David

I got the impression, maybe wrongly, that it would be a bit tedious for entering a lot of records.

Wrong indeed. Just had a go and it seems like quite an efficient way of doing things and with some nice features too. Entering the first record is a bit of a drag but subsequent records are then quick and easy. Think I'll persevere with it a bit longer and see how we go. Thanks for the suggestion DMW.

iNaturalist is good for batch entering. You can batch upload and batch edit sightings with all the needed info + unlimited photo upload, and there are various features if you want to segregate your records into "garden list 2015", "garden list 2016" etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back