• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New butterfly species for Lithuania and the Baltics (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Amazing day on Saturday! Whilst searching for Chalkhill Blues in southern Lithuania, I discovered a female Meleager's Blue (Meleageria daphnis) taking nectar from Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) flowers ...not only the first record of this species in Lithuania, but first for the Baltic States. The site, located less than a hundred metres from the Belarus border, was an area of mixed meadows and pine forest, largely on sandy soils. Active and mobile, the butterfly was watched for about fifteen minutes as it moved rapidly from flower clump to flower clump, the habitat being an abandoned meadow rich in flowers and over growing with raspberries, assorted shrubs, bushes and occasional pines in places.

Luckier still, this was a female - sexually dimorphic, the female is the more distinctive of the species, the pronounced scalloping to the rear hindwings making it unique amongst European Lycaenidae.

With a European distribution range stretching from southern Europe through to Ukraine and the Balkans, the closest known populations of Meleager's Blue are in southern Poland and northern Ukraine, approximately 380-400 km south of the Lithuanian border. As a non-migratory species, its occurrence in Lithuania is quite remarkable, opening the possibility that unknown populations exist between this locality and the known range, i.e. in areas of Belarus or Poland. As the food plants of the caterpillar, Crown Vetch (Coronilla varia) and Wild Thyme (Thymus serpyllum), occur in southern Lithuania, potential exists that further records may occur, though the complicated life cycle of the species also requires the presence of ant species (genera Lasius, Formica or Tapinoma) to tend the larvae.

As a side note, simultaneous with the discovery of this Meleager's Blue in Lithuania, another butterfly of largely southern distribution, namely Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) was present in exceptional numbers in the same general area. Prior to 2016, the only records of this species in Lithuania were in 1921 and 1926 (three individuals in Panevezys) and 2001 (one individual in Viesville). In 2016, representing an unprecedented influx into the border area, I found an absolute minimum of 58 individuals between 23-30 July at three sites in close proximity, with a further single at a site 30 km further north-east. Students have also found further individuals at a distance of approximately 10 km from this last site.

With the acceptance of Meleager's Blue, I believe the Lithuanian butterfly list stands at 126 species. Eight further species are noted in 'Butterflies of Lithuania' (Povilas Ivinskis & Jonas Augustauskas, 2004) as possible contenders to be recorded in the future, though Meleager's Blue was not among these.

Last edited:
The butterfly...

Attachments

• Meleagers Blue lt 1.jpg
    Meleagers Blue lt 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Meleagers Blue lt 3.jpg
    Meleagers Blue lt 3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Meleagers Blue lt 2.jpg
    Meleagers Blue lt 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 84
Wonderful discovery!
Your butterfly project is now at the 80% mark for Lithuania. That's a much higher percentage than our ABA and World big year birders are reaching.
Congratulations!

Thanks all, and indeed the potential icing - the season is drawing to an end now, numbers dropping, many species largely over. Still a few late specials to try for however, four theoretical species still in my sights in Lithuania, maybe two in Latvia ...

Thanks all, and indeed the potential icing - the season is drawing to an end now, numbers dropping, many species largely over. Still a few late specials to try for however, four theoretical species still in my sights in Lithuania, maybe two in Latvia ...

If a theoretical butterfly sneezes in the forest, and there's no-one to see it ... Hang on ...

Nice one! What were the other 8 - migratory species/closer breeders? and presumably you're keeping a good eye out for them ... ? ;)

Do you have another challenge planned? How about Dragonflies and damselflies?

These really are a headache, many species :)

Nice one! What were the other 8 - migratory species/closer breeders? and presumably you're keeping a good eye out for them ... ? ;)

All eight are close breeders, mostly to the south (Obethur's Skipper, Chapman's Blue, False Eros Blue, Gatekeeper, Woodland Ringlet), but some north or east (Frejya's Fritillary, Thor's Fritillary) and one while mostly south, has an isolated small population in Latvia (Damon Blue). Of these, I think Gatekeeper and Woodland Ringlet are amongst the most likely.

Amongst the species already recorded in Lithuania, there is also bunch of species which have not been seen in two or three decades, including Scotch Argus and Adonis Blue, which could well still be present, especially Scotch Argus.

There is also a group of species which are very irregular, some having only ever occurred a few times. These are migrants, the most frequent of which are Clouded Yellow and Danube Clouded Yellow, species I am certainly looking out for.

Last edited:
These really are a headache, many species :)

Agreed but not as variable as either Labybirds or Grasshoppers which are just about the only things on my patch at the minute!

Regards

My patch here in Russia is bereft of butterfiles now after such a good early summer. All I'm seeing now is masses of Peacocks, Fritillaries and Lesser Purple Emperor have probably been decimated by the intense and prolonged storms we've had, it's been a VERY wet summer here.

I was reduced to photographing plants today.

A

Do you have another challenge planned? How about Dragonflies and damselflies?

Regards

Think frogs and newts might be better targets, they photograph well and you don't need closeups of wing veins or genitals, which are challenging to get on live dragonflies.

Think frogs and newts might be better targets, they photograph well and you don't need closeups of wing veins or genitals, which are challenging to get on live dragonflies.

Some Frogs need to be examined in the hand and some are fiendishly hard to ID e.g the Pool Frogs and I only recently realised I have Moor Frog not Common Frog on my local patch when they turned briefly blue in the spring.

They are in fact not that easy at all!

Andy

Some Frogs need to be examined in the hand and some are fiendishly hard to ID e.g the Pool Frogs and I only recently realised I have Moor Frog not Common Frog on my local patch when they turned briefly blue in the spring.

They are in fact not that easy at all!

Andy

No free lunch, it seems.
My thought had been that just getting a decent look at some of them was the main challenge, as they are often pretty hard to find.
Then again, researchers just discovered a new species of Leopard Frog in NY City, so I see your point.
( http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/nyregion/new-leopard-frog-species-is-discovered-in-nyc.html?_r=0 )

Will probably target butterflies again next year, several spring and early species high on my priorities. Still got a few weeks of this year however, still some high hopes...

Where are you getting your historical gen, sites and records from Jos, is there an active group or society?

Nothing here of any kind nature oriented unless you count fishing and hunting. Everything I find is by pure chance, exploring and just walking locally but it can be rewarding and I've learned so much.

Andy

Last edited:
Where are you getting your historical gen, sites and records from Jos, is there an active group or society?

No active butterfly society. Most of the sites that I have found in Lithuania are merely the result of ten years trial and error, but quite a bit of extra this year based on looking for likely localities based on habitats, satellite maps and approximate distributions published in a book 12 years ago. Most of the new butterflies this year have been a result of many wrong turns on route, discoveries of sites without the butterfly, etc, before finding a suitable site. *

Historical data based on the said book and contacts in the Institute of Ecology, for whom I do some work too.

* As an example, I have spent about three weeks now (and considerable time in the spring) looking for Brown Argus at sites all over southern and eastern Lithuania (today alone I did over 200 km), but still haven't seen. Likewise Chalkhill Blue, three attempts at several localities in the south, a couple of times in other possible places. Similar for Tree Grayling, in the next days I will be trying for my fourth time in less than two weeks. Did similar for most of the rarer species.

Sounds like what I do here, my problem is lack of diversity, hundreds of km's in either direction and all we have is pine forest, birch or swamp, gets a bit frustrating. The only fields are unused, can't even say set aside, and have just grass, very few flowers.

A

Sounds like what I do here, my problem is lack of diversity, hundreds of km's in either direction and all we have is pine forest, birch or swamp, gets a bit frustrating. The only fields are unused, can't even say set aside, and have just grass, very few flowers.

A

Maybe widen the focus to include beetles? There is no shortage of diversity.

JBS Haldane testified to their special place in creation. ;)

Maybe widen the focus to include beetles? There is no shortage of diversity.

JBS Haldane testified to their special place in creation. ;)

I have a passive interest already in and do turn over any logs etc that I find. Book and ID resources are the problem here!

Northern Dune Tiger is very common here, they flush in small squadrons on the trail as I walk. This is a rare Beetle in my native UK, found at only about 3 sites nationwide.

http://www.surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20160617085246088.jpg

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back