• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B'fly expansions in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Bubo-R

As has widely been reported, this hasn't seemed to be a particularly good butterfly year so far, so I'm delighted to have 3x Red Admiral, a Peacock, a Small White and only the second record for Comma in my garden as I text.

I had been hoping for Painted Lady but nothing yet so far this year.

Anyone else North of the border getting new records for Comma, or anything else for that matter?

I get all of the above in good numbers in St petersburg, Russia so don't see why not Scotland. Red Admiral is currently the commonest species, we're on about the same latitude as Shetland.

Andy

Last edited:
I get all of the above in good numbers in St petersburg, Russia so don't see why not Scotland. Red Admiral is currently the commonest species, we're on about the same latitude as Shetland.

Andy

Andy,

The difference is that Scottish mean summer temperatures are lower than those in Ingria, probably something to do with being windier, cloudier and rainier. Winter temperatures are a lot higher though but that's no good for butterflies.

David

Andy,

The difference is that Scottish mean summer temperatures are lower than those in Ingria, probably something to do with being windier, cloudier and rainier. Winter temperatures are a lot higher though but that's no good for butterflies.

David

Hadn't thought of that, it's a lot higher on average too, almost all of St Petersburg is at sea level.

Andy

Yep, as above the weather is completely different on balance, not just the difference between a dominating maritime airmass in comparison to a continental airmass, but also the influence of processes such as island biogeography. In crude terms, it's unusual to get more than a weeks worth of clear skies here in the Edinburgh area, and temps above 25c are exceptional - I'm sure in St Petersburg you can easily top that....

Yep, as above the weather is completely different on balance, not just the difference between a dominating maritime airmass in comparison to a continental airmass, but also the influence of processes such as island biogeography. In crude terms, it's unusual to get more than a weeks worth of clear skies here in the Edinburgh area, and temps above 25c are exceptional - I'm sure in St Petersburg you can easily top that....

It can be hot but max this year has been about 28c with the average being about 18c and don't forget we are coastal, it's often very windy.

It's been an extremely wet summer, more like a tropical monsoon region and I'm not exagerrating.

Andy

Thanks for the link, Mark - I'll spend a lot of time gleaning info from there. Tbh I'm a bit out of touch with the current distribution of our butterflies - I used to be semi-active on the west coast many years ago, so I'll need to give myself a serious refresh.

After reading David's Speckled Wood comment, I looked at the Millennium Atlas, which of course doesn't list this as a Lothian species, hence my surprise. Things have obviously changed since then, and good to read of moves in the right direction.

Thanks for the link, Mark - I'll spend a lot of time gleaning info from there. Tbh I'm a bit out of touch with the current distribution of our butterflies - I used to be semi-active on the west coast many years ago, so I'll need to give myself a serious refresh.

After reading David's Speckled Wood comment, I looked at the Millennium Atlas, which of course doesn't list this as a Lothian species, hence my surprise. Things have obviously changed since then, and good to read of moves in the right direction.

I have reported the sightings as part of the BBS Speckled Wood survey, butterflies are certainly moving north. Grayling are also now near Tranent and when I was a bit younger I knew of no Peacocks or Commas in East Lothian. No Speckled Woods seen at Musselburgh today but did see a Large Bee Fly and some Chrysis sp., ruby-tailed wasps.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back