• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Are the warbler numbers singing males John?

Jared had the Gropper reeling along the east track at the Moors Pool this evening

Gropper reeled again along west track intermittently for 15 minutes from 8:10pm.

Also had a Barn Owl fly up from out of the A38 field over the track and quarter the reed bed, before letting out a loud screech and flying back over the field.

2nd summer Med Gull again at the Moors Pool this evening and a drake Pochard. At least 20 Sand Martins flew over the southern end of the pool just before dusk.

Last edited:
What was the water level like at the Flashes today John? When I had a "play" with the sluice mechanism on Tuesday it seemed worse than ever - the board system is a very blunt instrument (if you can actually open them) and I doubt we will be able to fine tune the levels as we used to with the previous overflow pipe

Phil

Andy and Helen from the Trust are looking to procure some smaller (lighter) "planks" to address these very problems.

Phil

I have passed your thoughts on to Andy, Helen and David at the Trust and asked if the aforementioned procurement could be made a higher priority.

Phil

Andy and Helen from the Trust are looking to procure some smaller (lighter) "planks" to address these very problems.

Sy/Phil.
spoke to Andy recently, he will contact contractors to make a narrower 'slat'. we could modify something to fit above the existing slats.
at moment the 2nd slat from top is set at 0.5...removing it thus at top of 3rd slat the level is 0.43. These levels are at the to ends of the scale for the spring levels. ie the beginning 0.5 and late june 43. There is a problem in opening up the sluice, but that is so it stays water tight. I will talk off line to all the wardens/management team on how much the water drops off at certain settings.B :)john

bird sightings

I have been told by a few people that there is a lack of 'bird sightings' being posted on here recently.
I explained that the site is about everything to do with Upton warren and it is not a 'Bird Information Alert'. But when we hear any news we post it pretty rapidly. I also mentioned that we are reliant on people posting their sightings to share with others, but not everyone has a smart phone to update in the field and most sightings are added from home.
I informed them of Brian's Worcester Birding site that has regular updates on scarce migrants. However I did add that l would be prepared to update people's sightings if they were unable to access the forum 'in the field' (by texting me). But looking at the last few days I don't think you could ask for more, from the regular contributors, who do a great job.
So to anyone out there that could add to the interest and help us 'capture the true flavour and exhilaration of spring passage' then please add you sightings or text one of us (PM me or Phil if you want our mobile numbers)
B :)John

Can't make it today..but have manned the hub to relay the info hope this has been of some use to those reading . just frustrating for me not to be there . but looking after my Grandson Freddie will always come first. However I will be there at 1st light tomorrow, just a dilemma as where to be - Flashes or Moors|:S|

I have been told by a few people that there is a lack of 'bird sightings' being posted on here recently.
I explained that the site is about everything to do with Upton warren and it is not a 'Bird Information Alert'. But when we hear any news we post it pretty rapidly. I also mentioned that we are reliant on people posting their sightings to share with others, but not everyone has a smart phone to update in the field and most sightings are added from home.
I informed them of Brian's Worcester Birding site that has regular updates on scarce migrants. However I did add that l would be prepared to update people's sightings if they were unable to access the forum 'in the field' (by texting me). But looking at the last few days I don't think you could ask for more, from the regular contributors, who do a great job.
So to anyone out there that could add to the interest and help us 'capture the true flavour and exhilaration of spring passage' then please add you sightings or text one of us (PM me or Phil if you want our mobile numbers)
B :)John

The lack of bird sightings could, equally, be indicative of a lack of birds being sighted |;|

Things have improved markedly this week as migrants have finally had the conditions to push them through. Hopefully this weekend will see a continuation of this.

Flashes

2 Little Egret and 3 LRP.

At approx. 11.00 am Bob O picked a tern circling quite high above flashes.

On looking at bird was astounded, but delighted, to be able to call a Sandwich Tern. Unfortunately just circled a few times and flew off to the north.

Think Bob might have a better image.

Attachments

• 7D2_005239.jpg
    7D2_005239.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back