• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wendelio's 2007 moths (1 Viewer)

My first garden Hawks

Couldn't resist posting a group of photos of the Hawks that have visited my garden. They came in a very orderly fashion, a different one each session, over the space of a week or so.

My catch from last Sunday was the best of the year so far with 45 species and 132 individuals. 2 Eyed Hawks, 2 Elephants and a Poplar. Also Peppered, Scorched wing, Swallow Prom., and Lychnis among the flashy ones.
The small brown jobs included Small Fan Foot, Rustic Shoulder Knot, The Flame, Silver y and Straw Dot.

Cheers,
W.

Attachments

• DSCN7272as.jpg
    DSCN7272as.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN7480s.jpg
    DSCN7480s.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN7631s.jpg
    DSCN7631s.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN7656s.jpg
    DSCN7656s.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN7733s.jpg
    DSCN7733s.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 73
two for id.

Thanks Ken.

These 2 have me baffled. I've been round and round settling on various possibles, but I'm not convinced, so I'm open to offers!
I quite like Tawny Shears for the 2nd one but habitat makes it unlikely.

Thanks for looking,
W.

Attachments

• DSCN7755s.jpg
    DSCN7755s.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN7761s.jpg
    DSCN7761s.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 74
Difficult to be sure without any sizes but 1 looks like Large Nutmeg and 2 like Small Clouded Brindle.

David

Thanks David,
Yes sizes would help! They were both very close to a big (not large!) Nutmeg in size ie. FW about 17 or 18 mm.
I had considered SMB but the distinct claviform stigmata put me off.
I have been getting Large Nutmeg over the last week or so but they have had a more sandy ground colour to them. Looking again, you are probably right.

Thanks,
W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back