• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celebrity Red-tailed Hawks in Central Park (1 Viewer)

aplomado2u

Celebrity Red-tailed Hawks in Central Park......too much attention?

In recent months, years for that matter there has been alot of talk
about the Red-tailed Hawks in Central Park New York, even a book has
been written about it.
Here is a link to Rueters for some of the latest.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=7665941
I am a birder, conservation is important to me but I think that all the
flap and hype about the red-tailed hawks on fifth Avenue needs to stop.
Is Central Park supposed to be an ideal habitat for Red-tailed hawks? I
don't think so. When I read the book I recall people being concerned
about the fledgling hawks being injured on their first flights,
crashing down onto fifth avenue with its heavy traffic. Others were
upset when they put rat poison in the Park to control the rat
populations, the arguement being that the hawks could eat the poisoned
rats and die.(is the suggestion that rats should not be controlled in Central
Park?) The dangers for the Red-tailed hawks seemed to be everywhere.
Now the hawks have a new stainless steel cradle for their nest on Fifth
Avenue and all of the same dangers, not to mention all of the gawking
"hawk voyeurs" who set binoculars and spotting scopes to stare at the
nest on the ledge of the building.(personally, I think that birders peering at a building in which people live, just to see a bird, is a huge lack of respect) I can understand the residents of
the building not being thrilled by all of the attention.
Why focus all the attention on Red-tailed hawks being in what may be a "less than ideal" habitat, when there are thousands of "habitat loss" locations and situations that deserve attention and are being ignored?
Habitat loss and destruction is a real threat to some bird populations. I live in
Veracruz Mexico and habitat loss is a "reality" here with absolutely
nothing being done to remedy the situation. Perhaps we need to
"rethink" where we focus our attention when it comes to birding
conservation. This is just my opinion and I thought that I would share it.
David McCauley
Tlacotalpan Veracruz

Last edited:
We can only hope that the plight of Pale Male and Lola gets people thinking about birds of prey. If a handful of New Yorkers get interested in raptors as a result of this debacle and start trying to learn more, and maybe get some information about raptor migration and habitat loss in Central and South America....maybe the attention paid will be worth it. They are not likely to think AT ALL about the southern hemisphere otherwise.

Perhaps the lesson is that the New York Community enjoys its connexions with nature and will stand up for its avian residents. There is a great deal of natural habitat within the city limits which is important for the well being of many migratory species, including piping plovers, glossy ibis, ducks, brants, snow geese, various herons and even pelicans. The Jamaica Bay Wildlife sanctuary, our cemeteries, our parks and shores have been preserved and benefit more than the hawks. Perhaps New Yorkers' reaction to the loss of the hawks' nest may inspire others to preserve more extensive habitat. Peple of wealth and privelege were held accountable for their actions, which is a success in itself.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

helenol said:
There has been an ongoing discussion regarding these birds in the following thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27315

Regards

Helen:
Thank you for bringing the thread to my attention. I read it with interest.
All seem to be apalled about the removal of the nest, but my doubt remains the same. How safe an environment is the middle of Manhattan for a pair of red-tailed hawks and their offspring? If we truly care why don't we capture the pair of Red-tailed hawks and introduce them into a safer, more natural setting?
David McCauley

aplomado2u said:
Helen:
All seem to be apalled about the removal of the nest, but my doubt remains the same. How safe an environment is the middle of Manhattan for a pair of red-tailed hawks and their offspring? If we truly care why don't we capture the pair of Red-tailed hawks and introduce them into a safer, more natural setting?
David McCauley

For this pair it IS a natural setting - how long would it take to learn a new territory?

They may just fly straight back to Manhattan - they chose this site, they have been successful - let people enjoy them.

Andy.

aplomado2u said:
Helen:
David McCauley
As Andy pointed out, there would be worse harm done to these hawks if they were re-located. Red-tail has been there for several years now and gone thru a few mates. I think he can handle himself on the streets of NY just fine ;)

Pinewood said:
Perhaps the lesson is that the New York Community enjoys its connexions with nature and will stand up for its avian residents. There is a great deal of natural habitat within the city limits which is important for the well being of many migratory species, including piping plovers, glossy ibis, ducks, brants, snow geese, various herons and even pelicans. The Jamaica Bay Wildlife sanctuary, our cemeteries, our parks and shores have been preserved and benefit more than the hawks. Perhaps New Yorkers' reaction to the loss of the hawks' nest may inspire others to preserve more extensive habitat. Peple of wealth and privelege were held accountable for their actions, which is a success in itself.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur:
I have no doubt as to the good intentions of the New York community with regard to avian species. I don't happen to believe that a nest on a building ledge is a safe and or natural habitat for Red-tailed Hawks. If we follow the history of the Red-tailed hawks in Central Park it is one fraught with danger and tradgedy, perhaps the inner city is NOT a safe place for the RED-tailed hawk.
I don't believe that any "rehabilited" Red-tailed hawks have have been released in Central Park because it was great habitat.

Somehow the wealthy and privileged of Fifth avenue come out the villains in all of this,........ I can't make the connection.
I think that Audubon Society with its resources could use a more global perspective on which issues to make center stage.

David McCauley
Tlacotalpan, Veracruz Mexico

KCFoggin said:
As Andy pointed out, there would be worse harm done to these hawks if they were re-located. Red-tail has been there for several years now and gone thru a few mates. I think he can handle himself on the streets of NY just fine ;)
KC:
It's not the adults that concern me, it is their future offspring.
I wouldn't like to see fledgling Red-tailed hawks become "road kill" on Fifth Avenue. I find it hard to believe that New Yorkers who I know care about the hawks, can completely ignore their long term survival in the city environment. Manhattan is Manhattan and it won't be leveled to provide a safe habitat for Red-tailed hawks.
As to Andy's point that harm would come to those relocated, I would favor their relocation odds as to their odds in the present situation.
Respectfully,
David McCauley
Tlacotalpan, Veracuz Mexico

aplomado2u said:
Why focus all the attention on Red-tailed hawks being in what may be a "less than ideal" habitat, when there are thousands of "habitat loss" locations and situations that deserve attention and are being ignored?

If the people of 5th avenue were not able to focus their attention on the hawks, it does not follow that they would shift their attention to something more deserving. They would just have fewer connections with the natural world to focus on, and hence they would focus less beyond their own personal space.

I use the word "natural" deliberately. The bird picked the park, no one put it there. Human's have drastically altered the face of the planet and certain species have been able to adapt. Red tail populations have benefited from the opening of the forests caused by agriculture in North America. This was not a "natural" process. If they can adapt to urban parks, so be it, and let the people rejoice.

The fact that the bird has survived there for several years indicates that it's not such a bad place to be. Would the hawk be better off duking it out with the resident of a better habitat? Or perhaps it would prefer being shot at by those that still consider birds of prey to be evil.

Anything that gets people thinking about the world beyond stock portfolios and the bottom line is good news to me.

Cheers,
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back