• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull id uk (1 Viewer)

ste

This gull stood out among the thousands of herring gulls .( The white headed gull at the top). I thought it may be a casp but the paleish eye has given me doubts. In the field it did show a small ammount of hindneck streaking. I did not see the open wing.

Does a pale eye rule out adult winter caspian gull?

many thanks Steve

Attachments

• DSCN9692.jpg
    DSCN9692.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN9693.jpg
    DSCN9693.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN9694.jpg
    DSCN9694.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
looks like a good candidate from what you can see. jizz, bill shape and colour, longish legs, mantle colour and apparent all white tip to P10 look good. Pale eye is fine, if not the most common variant, (a majority show dark mottling in a honey-coloured iris giving a dark appearance in the field).

Cheers

Pete

I might as well ask about this bird seen on the same day. Again I think its an adult casp but would like other opinions.
many thanks
Steve

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN9641.jpg
    DSCN9641.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 89
Could well be argentatus. Difficult to see without better shots. The bill seemed to be rather parallel-sided in the first bird, but this may just be the lack of definition. Admittedly there's no subterminal dark mark, and the bird looks bulky.

Both of these birds are Herring Gulls. The first was identified in the field as likely to be an Argentatus and the second was identified as an argenteus Herring Gull.

Could well be argentatus. Difficult to see without better shots. The bill seemed to be rather parallel-sided in the first bird, but this may just be the lack of definition. Admittedly there's no subterminal dark mark, and the bird looks bulky.

Argentatus with big/long bills don't seem to be all that infrequent. Relatively short and pink legs also signal this plus the big pale iris.

Yes I'd agree with the second bird being argenteus. Certainly both are Herring Gulls (or if they are cachinnans then all the other adult birds around them would perhaps be candidates too ;))

I'm in the Caspian team for this one...;)

Ho-hum, looks like I'm going to be out-numbered and outgunned again but.......why isn't Pete's bird just an Argentatus without a streaky head? It has a fairly pronounced gonydeal angle, an angular rather than domed head and is similar in size, shape and proportions to the other Herrings.

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back