• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EF 85 m m f1.8 USM any good for birding? (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

I have the chance to buy an EF 85mm f1.8 for £190. Would this complement the 100-400 zoom I use with a 40D, or would it be just too short range to be useful for birding?
Could it be used for digiscoping with my Opticron scope or with my astro scope?
Any comments anyone?

Hi I don`t know about digiscoping,however for birding the above lens would be far to short for birding.Unless of course you`re down at the local park with mallards etc.

Steve.

I have this lens, I bought it 2nd hand on impulse along with a Canon camera from the local shop as the only other Canon lens I owned at that time was a 600mm.
I have to say for me it takes great portraits and that's about it. I haven't used it in a year. It's too long for most things, too short for the rest !
Pretty good buy at the price if you can think where you would use it. A new one cost's around £300 and muggins me paid that second hand locally !

ef 85 mm f1.8 USM

Thanks Dave and Steve for your advice. I suppose I was attracted by the very low price and the F1.8 aspect to it. I was somehow hoping that it would come into its own in woodland.
Maybe putting the money to something more useful birdingwise would make more sense.
Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back