• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On Terceira, Azores 17th to 22nd Sept at Angra do Heroismo (1 Viewer)

paul Robinson

Hi
I've had no time to research this and will have little time to do a bit of birding, but what kind of habitat can I get to walking in the immediate area. Is there a bit of accessible mud for yank waders nearby or some decent gardens?
Borrowed cheap bins and no scope with me too for shame..|:(|
cheers
Paul

Paul,

I stayed there for a few days last autumn. No wader habitat that I came across, a few terns in the harbour. The headland of Monte Brasil is within walking distance and must get American passerines but it is a large area to cover effectively.

Stephen

Hi
I've had no time to research this and will have little time to do a bit of birding, but what kind of habitat can I get to walking in the immediate area. Is there a bit of accessible mud for yank waders nearby or some decent gardens?
Borrowed cheap bins and no scope with me too for shame..|:(|
cheers
Paul

I've copied a section of my report from our cruise there if you get to Praia Da Vitoria

Praia Da Vitoria,Azores

This proved to be one of the most interesting ports of call for birds.

The sail-in was impressive:hundreds of Cory Shearwater and many Yellow Legged Gull Common, Tern,a Common Turnstone, and several whale spouts.

We walked up to the monument overlooking the town hearing several Blackcap and Chiffchaff on the way,and seeing the Azores Blackbird,Azores Woodpigeon and House Sparrow.

Walking back down along the road there were 2 Common Quail calling and I saw a flock of Canary as well as an impressive number of Azores Blackbird.

We headed for the Paul Da Praia Da Vitoria wetland reserve near the base of the hill to the monument.Apart from a Common Coot,Grey Heron and several Mallard,yet more Blackcap could be heard and there were a few Azores Blackbird and Azores Starling around too,

Heading back to the cruise port I paid a visit to the old quarry near the port entrance.It is now the Paul De Pedreira wetland reserve.

There were several Kentish Plover including juveniles,4 Grey Plover,1 Common Redshank,1 Curlew,1 Dunlin,1 Turnstone,and 1 Bar Tailed Godwit.

As ever,Blackcap were singing and there were several Azores Blackbird,Goldfinch and a few Yellow Legged Gull.

The wardens are doing a sterling job monitoring the site as well as two others in town and also educating the locals about the importance of conservation.They have built an interpretation centre and groups of school children visit to engage in workshops and activities, learning about the birds the Azores.

On the way back to the ship another Common Quail was heard by the roundabout near the port entrance.

Thanks - found a few Azores websites and blogs too, plus some guided half and full days to think about.
regards
Paul
Have a great time .If you have a chance to get to the the Paul De Pedreira wetland reserve try and meet the staff there at the visitor centre.They will be more than happy to show you around and explain what they are doing there.
Be prepared for some mixed weather.We had four seasons in one day- not unusual apparently!

Thanks - found a few Azores websites and blogs too, plus some guided half and full days to think about.
regards
Paul

If you are able to go further afield then the quarry pools at Cabo da Praia are the stand out site, arguably the best American wader site in the Western Palearctic. Nearby is a marsh fringed pool (Paul da Praia) which gets American ducks, though September is early for these there has been a Redhead there already this autumn.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back