• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Diopter ring on RSPB HD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I have just purchased a wonderful binocular on Ebay for £200, when new they cost £500, so I can't really complain if there is a fault.

Optically superb, but I just cannot shift the Diopter ring to make them perfect for me. The dioptre setting is stuck on the middle setting but I can't turn the dial right or left to + or - settings.

I daren't force it but have tried to move it without success. I don't want to use excessive force as it might damage them optically.

Is there a secret way I am missing to move the dioptre ring? I know on some more expensive models (Leica for example) you have to lift the ring towards you and then lock it back down, but that is not the case with this binocular.

I seriously love this binocular, I've been birding since 1998 but these are by far the best I have had, optically.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi,

you certainly should complain if this doesn't turn out to be a case of RTFM - unless the seller mentioned the stuck diopter and sold the pair as damaged.

Joachim

it's difficult, advertised as mint but only £200 when normal price is at least twice that, so I am not complaining about that they are superb.

Fortunately I think the diopter setting it is stuck on is ok for my eyes, but I'd like to try a different setting .

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced a stiff diopter.
No comments please:)-

Last edited:
I have just purchased a wonderful binocular on Ebay for £200, when new they cost £500, so I can't really complain if there is a fault.

Optically superb, but I just cannot shift the Diopter ring to make them perfect for me. The dioptre setting is stuck on the middle setting but I can't turn the dial right or left to + or - settings.

I daren't force it but have tried to move it without success. I don't want to use excessive force as it might damage them optically.

Is there a secret way I am missing to move the dioptre ring? I know on some more expensive models (Leica for example) you have to lift the ring towards you and then lock it back down, but that is not the case with this binocular.

I seriously love this binocular, I've been birding since 1998 but these are by far the best I have had, optically.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Give us some photos, I think I may know your problem. :cat:

Bill

Thanks very much Dave and Bill, I have rung Viking and they suggested dropping them in, which I may do in July.

Here's a photo Bill..............eyelid in twisted up position, not that that has any bearing on the issue. The + sign is just round the corner on the right hand side of the barrel.

Attachments

• Stuck Diopter 1.jpg
    Stuck Diopter 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 240
Thanks very much Dave and Bill, I have rung Viking and they suggested dropping them in, which I may do in July.

Here's a photo Bill..............eyelid in twisted up position, not that that has any bearing on the issue. The + sign is just round the corner on the right hand side of the barrel.

Sorry; I thought I might be able to help. Some people with similar problems don’t know that on some binos the central focus wheel must be pulled out to be activated. That does not appear to be the issue here.

Bill

Last edited:
Before sending them off, you might consider warming the ring a bit with a hairdryer. Not to excessive temps like you could get with a heatgun of course, but similar to what they would experience when left inside a closed-up auto during the summer. Modern binos will easily withstand this level of warmth. It's worth a try, and won't cost you anything. If there is any dried lube inside the ring causing it to freeze up, it might soften it a bit......

Last edited:
Being new and water proof may just mean that the ring is very tight. I have experienced this on quite a few new binoculars and understand your reluctance to force it. If you can get to Viking, you may find it only takes a few seconds to release it.

I have one binocular (a Zen-Ray) that you have to pull the diopter ring up about 1 mm, set the diopter, then push back down to lock it.

Thanks so much for your thoughts all, I appreciate you going to the trouble. I will give it the hair drier treatment once I return from holiday on 3 June , I'll report back.

It's not the type where you have to lift it up to lock or unlock.

Thanks again.

Just to update, I did try the hair drier treatment, but to no avail. Its still stuck.
Nice idea by the way, I can certainly see the logic.

Think I'll just stick with it as it is, as the position its stuck in seems perfect for my eyes, rather fortuitously.

Just to update, I did try the hair drier treatment, but to no avail. Its still stuck.
Nice idea by the way, I can certainly see the logic.

Think I'll just stick with it as it is, as the position its stuck in seems perfect for my eyes, rather fortuitously.

Why not pop into your local rspb shop , they will advise you if you are doing something wrong, the bin is could be covered by the guarantee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back