• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

March seemed a particularly abundant month for Roe Deer in South Norfolk this year with animals recorded at the following sites.

7th Tacolneston - four (one buck)
11th Forncett St Mary - one buck
18th Shelton Common - three (one buck)
23rd Wacton Common - one
24th Tharston - two.
27th Hempnall -one
30th Gt Moulton - two.

I photographed this Chinese Water Deer at Strumpshaw the other day. Usually they bound away as soon as they spot me but this one carried on feeding, apparently unconcerned, despite only the drainage ditch separating us. Are they getting bolder now that they are becoming more numerous?

Ron

Attachments

• Bold-water-deer-small.jpg
    Bold-water-deer-small.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 76
I saw one a couple of years ago feeding in broad daylight on the side of the Acle straight - again the "right" side of a ditch. Perhaps they view ditches as sufficient to keep predators away, so if they can see the ditch, they don't worry what's on the other side - but if they can't see the ditch they run?

I sometimes see CWD squatting like a hare in rough , but not very long grass with their heads down. They seem to think they cant be seen and can be aproched quite closely.

Still on the subject of Chinese Water Deer, a couple of days ago, myself, Carol and Rob Baldock had one just outside Saxlingham Green. This was the first one that I have ever seen in this area of Norfolk which is well detached from the main density of the broadland population and it was only just outside my patch boundary. They have clearly spread though because as I found out that evening, Carol and Rob occasionally get them in their back garden which is on my patch so it can only be a matter of time now.

Steve.

I encountered this ridiculously obliging young Brown Hare on the riverbank at Strumpshaw Fen this evening. If I stood still it would approach to within a couple of metres. If I moved it would scamper off, only to return again if I stayed where I was. It even stopped for a wash and brush up at one point.

Ron

Attachments

• Close-hare-5-small.jpg
    Close-hare-5-small.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Close-hare-3-small.jpg
    Close-hare-3-small.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 105
  • Close-hare-2-small.jpg
    Close-hare-2-small.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 92
This female Badger at Cley yesterday; very sad, especially if she had cubs nearby.

Attachments

• badgercleydead.jpg
    badgercleydead.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 176
I photographed this Chinese Water Deer at Strumpshaw the other day. Usually they bound away as soon as they spot me but this one carried on feeding, apparently unconcerned, despite only the drainage ditch separating us. Are they getting bolder now that they are becoming more numerous?

Ron

Saw a CWD walk across in front of Tower Hide today.

Recent polecats/polecat-alikes

Today I found the attached roadkill mustelid on the edge of Norwich at the A1074/A47 junction. looks a good candidate for polecat (e.g. front paws at least are dark). Unfortunately, key particulars were squashed. This follows recent roadkill polecats on the A1067 NW of Norwich (around the turnoff for Foxley Wood; found by Keith Langdon) and one near Long Stratton, S of Norwich (found by Dave Andrews).

Attachments

• IMG_4922.JPG
    IMG_4922.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4923.JPG
    IMG_4923.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4924.JPG
    IMG_4924.JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 76
Saw a dead polecat by the side of the A47 today (between Swaffham and Dereham), first one I have seen in Norfolk.

Spotted this big male Polecat dead on the A148 at Bodham today. They are definitely hereabouts - two recent live sightings between Cley and Holt, another at Weybourne, road kills Snoring and more recently Edgefield.

Attachments

• polebod110ct17.jpg
    polebod110ct17.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 61
  • polecbod11oct17.jpg
    polecbod11oct17.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 75
Roadkill Polecat this morning on A148 near Fakenham Morrison's roundabout opposite the Football ground. Only a mile or so from where Steve G. reported one a few years back closer towards Little Snoring. They're here, just need to see a live one.

Roadkill Polecat this morning on A148 near Fakenham Morrison's roundabout opposite the Football ground. Only a mile or so from where Steve G. reported one a few years back closer towards Little Snoring. They're here, just need to see a live one.

Don't hold your breath.... good news that they are around though. :t:

John

14 Hares all seen at once on Muckleburgh Hill and a field adjacent to it. More than I've ever seen in a day, let alone at once.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back