• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't say that Bramblings are regular in my garden. I see them mostly at migration and sometimes (very rarely) they might spend whole winter here (in southern Finland).

Our Bramblings have moved on/up?/out?, probably something to do with the silly tee shirt weather this week, very mild and sunny days and not even a frost last night despite the clear skies.
I could hardly believe my eyes this afternoon, if I had to do a list of the next possible garden ticks this one would not have been in the first 20 as it's a species rarely seen at our altitude in Haute-Savoie (just a couple per year on average). So it counts as Bird of the Year for me here (so far;)) :

85 Lesser spotted Woodpecker

I could hardly believe my eyes this afternoon, if I had to do a list of the next possible garden ticks this one would not have been in the first 20 as it's a species rarely seen at our altitude in Haute-Savoie (just a couple per year on average). So it counts as Bird of the Year for me here (so far;)) :

.......you probably require a "Greater Spotter" to find one of those Richard. ;)

Our Bramblings have moved on/up?/out?, probably something to do with the silly tee shirt weather this week, very mild and sunny days and not even a frost last night despite the clear skies.

:t: Nice.

I live in hope that some day I see LSW in my garden. :smoke:

Well we share one species for the year Bryan, and mine to was a flyover grdn.tick, I think you might get it. ;) No chance of me hitting eighty let alone a hundred, I'm hoping for a cold snap...that potentially could get me a few more.

Cheers

Hi Ken
If I'm guessing correctly, yes it seems we do share a garden tic. I was unaware that they aren't native to the Americas, having arrived in South America from Africa around 1877, tough little buggers.

Anyway a new one that has been hanging around with the Baltimore Orioles. She went unnoticed for days until her pale yellow wash around the head and underparts instead of the light orange of the Baltimores finally sunk in. Not much gets by me ;)

88. Orchid Oriole.

Hi Ken
If I'm guessing correctly, yes it seems we do share a garden tic. I was unaware that they aren't native to the Americas, having arrived in South America from Africa around 1877, tough little buggers.

Anyway a new one that has been hanging around with the Baltimore Orioles. She went unnoticed for days until her pale yellow wash around the head and underparts instead of the light orange of the Baltimores finally sunk in. Not much gets by me ;)

88. Orchid Oriole.

Another one I won't be getting Bryan!....however ''up the road'' in Oxfordshire a few years back now, we had an overwintering Baltimore Oriole, and during 1989 ''down the road'' in Larkfield, Kent, we had an overwintering Golden-winged Warbler!!! .....so never say die!

Another one I won't be getting Bryan!....however ''up the road'' in Oxfordshire a few years back now, we had an overwintering Baltimore Oriole, and during 1989 ''down the road'' in Larkfield, Kent, we had an overwintering Golden-winged Warbler!!! .....so never say die!

Oops! I was sure it was the other guy that was a shared tick. It never would have occurred to me that it was the Baltimore Oriole. It must have been very cool to see them over in your neck of the woods. Was it a male? Either way, nice bird for you guys.

These two this afternoon takes us to 90 ticks anyway,

89. Chestnut-sided Warbler
90. Vaux Swift (flyovers of course)

:t: Nice.

I live in hope that some day I see LSW in my garden. :smoke:

I live in hope that some day I see LSW.......................:-C
Never mind a garden first. And that is despite regular trips to known haunts in and around Sherwood forest from February through to April every year for the past who knows how long in my quest to nail this Bogey.

Have I gone crazy? This afternoon I was about half a mile from home a little inland sat in the car doing a little local birding and I saw a raptor that would be a year tick for my "from home list". I sped home specifically to see it from home....oh dear ;)

78. Short-toed Eagle

They're not rare here at all, in fact I'm surprised not to have seen one near home this year.

Have I gone crazy? This afternoon I was about half a mile from home a little inland sat in the car doing a little local birding and I saw a raptor that would be a year tick for my "from home list". I sped home specifically to see it from home....oh dear ;)

78. Short-toed Eagle

They're not rare here at all, in fact I'm surprised not to have seen one near home this year.

Not at all, Simon! I've done that a few times.

The other day I was about a mile from home when a Raven went over - but I was on foot! Still need it.

Not at all, Simon! I've done that a few times.

The other day I was about a mile from home when a Raven went over - but I was on foot! Still need it.

Me too Simon and H, in my case it was Red Kite a couple of months ago, it would've been a Garden tick for here too but by the time I'd got home it was gone. A cold snap here is seeing the feeders emptied twice a day (I'll have to get some of Jos' industrial-size silos soon!) and has apparently shifted some of the hardiest Alpine Accentors down from the mountainside, I heard one in the fog the other day (first thinking it was a lark flight calling :eek!:), then at dawn yesterday at least two flew off calling from somewhere on the outside of the house as I opened the shutters, I still haven't seen them though, so a heard-only garden year tick for now. I'll just have to content myself watching the regular three Hawfinches (all cracking males Ken 8-P) munching the sunflower seeds, it's a hard life sometimes.....

86 Alpine Accentor

I'll just have to content myself watching the regular three Hawfinches (all cracking males Ken 8-P) munching the sunflower seeds, it's a hard life sometimes.....
86 Alpine Accentor

The moderators should intervene when the jibes become this personal.....:-C

;)

I've just refilled my feeders as the last lot just rotted with very little eaten.
Maybe now it's colder the birds will come...¿

Handicapped Swainson's Thrush

91. Swainson's Thrush

These guy have been showing up in the neighbourhood and we're now getting them in the garden

The one individual we have coming around the feeder regularly is in very good condition, sleek, round and well fed.
Only problem with this fella is he's missing two thirds of his lower mandible. It's probably an old injury since he doesn't seem bothered by it. He's able to feed himself and certainly makes his presence known at the banana feeder. Swainson's Thrush don't usually frequent fruit feeders so I'm guessing that thanks to his handicap he is capitalizing on any food source he can no matter how unconventional it might be.

Not surprising but I find I'm rooting for him every time he shows up.

Bryan

A banana feeder, that's a new one on me Bryan. I did try something exotic this morning and hung two halves of a clementine on a feeder -trouble was they'd frozen solid within 20 minutes so that's taught me not to be too imaginative.:-C A nice colourful flock of eleven Crossbills turned up today, I photographed them in case they were part of the Parrot Crossbill influx that had perhaps headed south, but they were all Common. Speaking of photography, I thought folks would find this afternoon's attached pic instructive....

Attachments

• Two not of a kind.jpg
    Two not of a kind.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back