• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somaliland (1 Viewer)

DMW

Hi,

I'm looking to organise a birding trip to Somaliland for next year, using an experienced local ground agent. Timing is completely open at the moment, duration approx 14-16 days.

In order to make this economically viable, a group of 8 is required. The aim is to have a similar itinerary to that run by commercial tour companies, but at around half the cost.

What I'm hoping for at the moment is to hear from anybody who is potentially interested, to guage whether there is sufficient interest to take this forward with the ground agent.

So, if obscure larks and bustards are your thing, please send me a PM!

Cheers
Duncan

Not sure about obscure larks and bustards, but just the thought of visiting and birding this largely unknown corner of Africa sounds pretty exciting.

Tend to prefer to do trips independently, but appreciate that Somaliland would be pretty tough this way and more expensive - not least for the mandatory armed security required :)

2019, huh? Any idea of an approximate cost?

Last edited:
Hi Jos,

Yes I don't think it would be easy to do this DIY. As you say, you are required to have armed security, and obtain permission from local officials to visit certain areas.

No firm timing at this stage - I'm thinking late 2019, but that's not set in stone.

I will PM you with the quote I have been given by the ground agent. Not being coy, but he sent this in a private email.

Cheers
Duncan

I will send a PM too. I am going to go there anyway. If I can do so in a group all the better. I am interested to know the similarities and differences in birding SW Saudi Arabia which I know quite well. Rob

Hi Jos,

As you say, you are required to have armed security, and obtain permission from local officials to visit certain areas.

This will add a serious wedge to the cost no doubt.

What species are available that can't be seen elsewhere without such security measures?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back