• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 (1 Viewer)

I have used the 7x42 Dialyt, P version, a fair amount. It has more field of view than any of my other binoculars with comparable eye relief, but in most scenarios all that the extra 10m or so did was let the pigeon being hunted come into view a second or so earlier. When I did get to see flocks under attack in the open sky, the large field of view did let me see more of the flock, but I found the falcon might go off so high and/or far away before attacking that it was very difficult to follow with 7x. The 7x42 has some great qualities - I love the way it comes so easily to my eyes and is so steady compared to 10x (and even 8x) which together make for a really enjoyable fatigue free view - and is great for closer observation but (as of right now anyway) I prefer the size of image 8x or 10x gives me at most of the distances I'm observing at.

Last edited:
I have used the 7x42 Dialyt, P version, a fair amount. It has more field of view than any of my other binoculars with comparable eye relief, but in most scenarios all that the extra 10m or so did was let the pigeon being hunted come into view a second or earlier. When I did get to see flocks under attack in the open sky, the large field of view did let me see more of the flock, but I found the falcon might go off so high and/or far away before attacking that it was very difficult to follow with 7x. The 7x42 has some great qualities - I love the way it comes so easily to my eyes and is so steady compared to 10x (and even 8x) which together make for a really enjoyable fatigue free view - and is great for closer observation but (as of right now anyway) I prefer the size of image 8x or 10x gives me at most of the distances I'm observing at.

Hello Patudo,

All very good points, except that the older Dialyt 7x42 does not have a very close focus. In wooded areas, I see no great advantage in an 8x glass. 10x glasses provide too narrow an FOV for following flying birds and in my hands are too shaky for targets much above the horizon. Certainly the glass has to meet the needs of a user.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
...the older Dialyt 7x42 do not have a very close focus...

Mine get down to 12 feet, which is competitive with most full sized bins, including several top-end current models. In their day, 12 feet was probably considered excellent. Many old bins have a hard time under 20-25 feet.

I find the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP not good for butterflies, but fine for most birding.

--AP

How many here like the 7X42 format...
A.W.
Just about to find out! There's a pair of ancient Habicht 7x42s in the post to me. I've been using mid '70s Trinovid 8x40 up 'till now but thought I should try slightly less magnification in case it improves the over-all expereince. Am expecting that I'll benefit from deeper depth of field and an image that's slightly easier to keep still. Will let you know :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back