• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations please? (1 Viewer)

Duck_Pond

Professional Wildlife Photographer And Guide
Scotland
A friend of mine is interested in watching some yachting and has asked about suitable binoculars.

He's got a budget up to £1500 to play with, and says the following:

Distance is infinite, since the view is of the horizon (hence wanting some observation/ zoom bins). Budget is up to around £1500 in extremis, but would need to be really convinced that it performed significantly better than some of the things I've seen below or around the £500 mark which are looking pretty good.

He has looked at

These

These

and these

Has anyone got any experience of these bins, or can recommend any others more suitable?

Thanks in advance, :t:

Pete.

I would not go with zoom on the binoculars. Get a scope, where the zoom eye piece is one option, but can be exchanged for a fixed one of the magnification he needs.

I presume you watch the boats from shore?

I suspect he will be on the shore, yes.

I have a cheap pair of "zoom" bins, and the zoom part is so bad it's a joke!

Well, to be honest, most zooms on scopes are a joke. They will say 20-60x, but are only good to 45x. No further detail can be seen at 60x.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back