• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Volcano Part 1/3 9-10pm 8/9/09 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hello there

One of the presenters of this programme appeared onthe One show and stated that the programme was on tonight.

So I watched this programme tonight, and it was very interesting indeed, There was a lot of involvement with the discovery of new animal species in the unspoilt jungle of New Guinea.

There where some bird species found, and one of the smallest Parrots in the world. It was only the size of an adults thumb. Lots of frogs of various types, and plenty of insects.

Well worth a look anyday. The next part 2/3 is on next Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m82h7
for BBC i-player

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I watched i last night and thought it was canny.
The best bit was when Jamie let go of the Pygmy Parrot!:-O

I have to say it was excellant. Yes, the highlight was seeing the Pygmy Parrots. They where just the cutest little 'pocket' - sized Parrots you have ever seen.

Regards
Kathy
x

Another temendous nature programe from the BBC, they just keep churning them out!!!! :t:

Did you see the state of that stick-insect at the start of the prog...:eek!:....YA BEAUTY, and Gordon B....WHAT a legend, sittin in the hide, waiting for a bird that might not appear, with mozzies and other buzzy things swarming around his head, now THATS what i call dedication!! :clap::clap:

Brilliant stuff, as to be expected, but still a tad frustrating that there were a few birds shown that were not identified. This often happens on nature programmes from abroad.

Jon

This was a fascinating programme. I was amazed at the unknown species they were discovering. I think that was part of the point, Jon, they were unknown species that the scientists had found.

The parrot incident was funny, luckilly they had already got a feather from the bird.

I was quite glad to know the snake was not a deadly one.

The stripped creature was very cute if rather annoyed at being caught.

Those climbers/cavers were, I think, very brave to tackle that cave system.

An excellent programme & I am looking forward to the next one in the series.

Brilliant stuff, as to be expected, but still a tad frustrating that there were a few birds shown that were not identified. This often happens on nature programmes from abroad.

Jon

hi Jon

Next week that there is going to be a lot more about birds so that will be interesting - ie Birds of Paradise.

Like you, I felt they touched on the subject, but the birds they did show where interesting. There was a Thrush which looked like a Female Blackbird but not to be. ;)

Hopefully Part 2 will be full of birds :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

i watched on i player as i was busy last night.great show the wildlife was fantastic.all the species was great. nice to know the snake was not venimus.looking to the next part.

i loved the programme, it was absolutely brill!!! i have to confess i could not deal with the insects and bugs ( i mean how big was the stick insect!:eek!:).One day when I have hopefully conquered my fear of creepy crawlies and have saved up a hell of a lot of money i will defo go there!!!o:Do:D

I must apologies for my first post...i called Gordon, Jamie (i was thinking about the little foxes he was following in Springwatch):-O
Never drink and watch nature programmes folks;)
I cant wait to see the birds of paradise:t::t::t:

I watched i last night and thought it was canny.
The best bit was when Jamie let go of the Pygmy Parrot!:-O

That's nothing. When I was mist-netting birds in Brazil I didn't quite have a good enough grip on one bird (obviously not a Pygmy Parrot though!) and as it wriggled out of my hand the natural reaction was to try and grab it. The poor thing managed to take off minus all of it's tail feathers. :eek!: :-C

They grow back though! ;)

Been looking forward to this. The one they did in Guatemala (or was it Guayana?) was superb and this series should be too.

Last edited:
Hi there

Just an observation through 'Earth news' that there was a mis-identification of the species of the Pygmy Parrot

It is not a 'Buffed-Face Pygmy Parrot' it is 'Yellow-capped Pygmy Parrot'

Just to keep the records straight from the video clips shown on Earth News.

Regards
Kathy
x

They've changed the name on the BBC article too. Very cool footage, I caught a bit of this programme and it was excellent - will have to get onto iPlayer and rewatch it to see the bits I missed.

I really felt for Gordon when the Parrot slipped his grip! Poor guy!

I must admit I was transfixed by the programme, although, being slightly deaf, I was rather confused, at one point, as to which end of the striped Possum was making the noise! :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back