• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good flashlight (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Hello,

I am looking for a very powerful (yet small) flashlight for wildlife. I don't want a big torch nor a headlamp. I am looking at a small model with good output.

Thanks

Hello,

I am looking for a very powerful (yet small) flashlight for wildlife. I don't want a big torch nor a headlamp. I am looking at a small model with good output.

Thanks

The Streamlight PolyTacâ„¢ LED is the best small flashlight that I've found when it comes to 'bang for the buck'. It is a 120 lumen led with 3 hour burn time and can be found for under $35 on-line -here

If that is too large, you could go with a Surefire E1B Backup. It is a dual power led that is 80 lumens max, but it only has a 1.3 hour burn time and costs $100 more. I have both and use the Steamlight more often. I do like the low power option on Surefire, but if I were only going to carry one light,I'd carry the Streamlight.

Last edited:
torch
battery
charger

and don't look further. Extremely powerful (if not blinding), wide beam and stronger than most cars' headlights. There will be a day those lights have to be banned and controvery will be bigger than about playing birdsongs. I get blinded if I look for one second in them, so I guess they are not healthy for animals, either. Yet they give the (addicting) feeling of walking in day light in the middle of the night, and a brave new world opens :smoke:

Flashlight information

Hello,

Thanks

Off the top of my head I'd suggest you look at a Fenix flashlight. I have been carrying a L1P for several years. I don't believe they make that model any more, but any of their single-AA battery lights would be worth looking at.

Lots of good information at www.candlepowerforums.com but beware, flashlights CAN be addicting, or at least that's what I've heard. I am "on the wagon" now, but probably have 30 in the drawer.

Bill

These are exceptional, powerful torches, and very pocketable but not that cheap. I use one regularly on spotlighting sessions whilst on tour. Here is a US link, but I'm sure you could shop around, mine was much cheaper over here - http://www.chuckhawks.com/lenser_T7.htm and Uk - http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches/led-lenser-t7.html

I have one of these http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches/led-lenser-police-tech-focus.html. Cannot recommend it highly enough. All of the local police use them - they are very bright and very small. :t:

Paul

I was a flashlight junkie in a previous life. There are many good lights out there but my first suggestion is to look at something in a AA or AAA configuration. The CR123s get expensive and may at times be difficult to get. Fenix makes a darn good light as well as the Nite Core AA

Having been on spotlighting tours the advice appears to be to use a red lens / filter as this minimises the disturbance to mammals.

It does but it also massively reduces the brightness of the torch. So you may be just as well using a much less bright torch in the first place!

LED Lenser P7. The only flashlight you will ever need! 4 x AAA, and bright as anything.

Although saying that, I also have one of their H7 headlamps :-O

Friend of mine's used these on field trips all over Africa, and they've never let him down once |=)|

These really are amazing but I too have my worries about their affect on animals eyes.

They do have two modes, intermediate and strong at a quick push button control as well as an easy one handed focus. You know the score Steve, once you've spotted the eyeshine, you move the focus of the light away from the head and particularly the eyes, the perimeter glow is enough to watch the animal clearly through good optics. I do use filters when I'm working on tour, I personally prefer a professional green which certainly cats and other animals with rather sensitive eyes such as Tapir completely ignore. Red is generally used for canids.

As you are in Canada, then if you are close to one of the mountain equipment shops, MEC, I suggest that you visit their cycling section.

Some nice powerful lights there in the $8-15 range. They now have a wind up one also that is very small and good. The beams are fairly directional so do not spread out too much.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back