• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (1 Viewer)

The hoverfly Volucella zonaria (photo below, from 26th) diced with death on the tarmac surface from which the target aircraft were launched at the Warham Greens whirligig. However, since it hasn’t been used for some 60 years, it was probably not at immediate risk.

Attempts to acquaint Dave & Kieran N (no, not brothers, just sharers of the same initial) with this striking insect proved in vain, as they arrived out-of-breath, having pounded along the tarmac- and scared the thing away.

Attachments

• 126pse.jpg
    126pse.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 136
Starship Troopers!

I thought I had stumbled onto a scene from the film Starship Troopers when I came across this beast at Cley Marshes on Saturday.

Another gentleman had found it dazed and confused on the path to one of the hides and was moving it out of harm's way.

I presume it's a Great Diving Beetle. Please can anyone tell me the species?

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• Copy of DSC02656.JPG
    Copy of DSC02656.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 131
"dazed and confused"

Please can anyone tell me the species?

Steve: this Led Zeppelin-loving water beatle is, I believe, not a GDB (which should have a yellowish sort of frame all around it), but Ilybius fenestratus. I’m sure I can detect a reddish tinge to its legs in your photo.

Shirley, it should’ve been on a rock; I hope you didn’t pop it back on the path !

Steve: this Led Zeppelin-loving water beatle is, I believe, not a GDB (which should have a yellowish sort of frame all around it), but Ilybius fenestratus. I’m sure I can detect a reddish tinge to its legs in your photo.

Ilybius fenestratus 11.5mm, my little finger is 18mm wide at base, assuming the hands in photo approx same Ilybius fenestratus should be shorter than width of finger. It is also a scarce sp. Our largest and common Ilybus is ater at up tp 15mm so still much too small to be this one.

It is Hydrophilus piceus (Great Silver Water Beetle)

Without the specimen to be keyed out I would be reluctant to put a name to this water beetle But I would guess a Hydrobius species . The wedge at the top of the elytra is very big for most of the Dytiscid species. If it is H piceus it is a small specimen. I have only seen two live specimens ( male and female ). The male spaned three of my fingers and the female 4. They are big beetles with a length of 40-50 mm. I would not rule out Hydrochara carcboides.

A word of warning , beware of handling water beetles like this as some species , ie Dytiscid sp , can give you a sharp bite.

In retrospect I now think Ficdula may well be correct with his ID. My first impression was the beetle was too small for H piceus , but of course everyones hands are different and make judjument of the size anything they hold is subjective.

Last edited:
Thanks for the corrections. I was solely going on the evidence of my eyes, on searching the illustrations in Chinery’s “Insects . . ”.

I could see no ridging on the elytra, which is why I made my ID. Having no field experience of these, I defer to others more well-versed.

BTW, they were the “Silver Beatles” for a time in 1960 (but not yet Great), when they changed their name to the one we all recognise.

this Led Zeppelin-loving water beatle...

Shirley, it should’ve been on a rock; I hope you didn’t pop it back on the path !

Thanks to everyone for all the prompt and knowledgeable feedback. The gentleman who handled the beetle did appear to have large hands which may have resulted in some of the confusion regarding ID.

The attached photo may be able to give a better indication of scale.
Otherwise, I will settle for Hydrophilus piceus (Great Silver Water Beetle).

Regards

Steve

P.S The beetle was moved from the middle of the path to the edge so that it did not ascend the "Stairway to Heaven" prematurely.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC02655.JPG
    Copy of DSC02655.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 80
A larger specimen of H piceus was removed from a moth trap earlier this year at Cley Marshes, so appears this beetle is locally present though still quite scarce as a county species.

Three of the handsome hoverfly Volucella zonaria were at the concrete pad (and one V. inanis) and northern ends of the westernmost track at Warham Greens today.

The one below is a female: note the eyes separated by the frons. In males, the eyes meet. (Thanks, Tony.)

Attachments

• 174pse.jpg
    174pse.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 84
Hoverfly ID

Three of the handsome hoverfly Volucella zonaria were at the concrete pad (and one V. inanis) and northern ends of the westernmost track at Warham Greens today.

The one below is a female: note the eyes separated by the frons. In males, the eyes meet. (Thanks, Tony.)

Excellent photo as usual firstreesjohn and a very timely post.

I came across the same species of stunning female hoverfly at Lackford Lakes in Suffolk yesterday (Sorry I know it's not Norfolk) and was wondering about its ID but now I know.

I won't post the awful record shot taken with my mobile phone.

Cheers

Steve

Hand’s off Spiderman !

A few days ago, I passed through Stiffkey, during their annual Scarecrow Week, in aid of UNICEF. There was an impressive Spider-crow.

Unfortunately, it seems that someone has dismembered the super-hero (not for the costume, surely?) and this is all that’s left. Actually, right !

Attachments

• 030pse.jpg
    030pse.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 84
Diving beetles, new to Cley

Via NWT today

"Dytiscus circumcinctus (Dytiscidae, diving beetles) recorded at Cley Marshes, a new 10 km record. Has been seen in the Broads before"

Dear all,

Bugs Brittanica is currently available in everyone's favourite cheap bookshop, The Works, for £6.99 (RRP £35.00). Please note, this is not an ID guide but more of a cultural assessment of man's relationship with our creepy crawlies down the years. I am sure many of your own Birds Britannica and if so, will know what to expect. This is a superb body of work and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the natural world.

Cheers,
Jim.

First Bee-fly ?

Yesterday, the westernmost track at Warham Greens surprised me with this Bee-fly: on the track just N of the concrete pad.

Attachments

• 102PSE.jpg
    102PSE.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 63
Hoverfly bee mimic Eristalis intricarius E of conifers at Walsey Hills, yesterday.

(It is the largest of the three insects!)

Attachments

• 006pse2.jpg
    006pse2.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 77
Hoverfly

I found this smart little chap crawling under my garden bench this evening.
I think it is Xanthagramma pedissequum, but stand to be corrected.

Attachments

• IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7516.jpg
    IMG_7516.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back